1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western ultra mount problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by roger1117, Dec 19, 2012.

1. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

can anybody tell me how to adjust my ultramount it wont lower all the way it drops down fine but it stops like 3" off the ground now....?

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the chains aren't adjusted correctly... :confused:

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

really,,,,did you ck the chains first like cubic suggested???

4. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

yes thanks guys, that was the first thing i did was check the chains their fine actually they are loose but it wont rest on the ground, i'm new to plowing just got this plow a few months ago took it in to get fluids changed , its in good shape prob 2002 ultra, i dont know if its binding or what..

5. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

it wasnt doing that before i took it in to get fluid changed, now were supposed to get snow tonight , i havent tried it until yesterday because we havnt had snow here.

6. dieselss

Ok so the plow stays in the air when you drop it. Sounds like its the pivot pins are frozen!!

7. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

well sort of it lifts fine and drops down fine it just wont drop all the way to the ground it stops like 2 or 3" from the ground otherwise everything else works fine .

8. dieselss

Ok,, still think those pins. They are the only thing that let's the plow pivot up and dwn. If you can. Jack up the tk and drop the plow as far as it'll go. So when was the last time you greased them? Do a search in the western thread, I did a wright up with pics on the pivot pin

9. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

yes they just greased them i think they greased everything, when i took it in they actually winterized it is what they call it, changed fluid and filter and greased and checked everything. what is TK? (sorry amature here). how do i search in western thread?

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Is the chain *actually* loose? As in, you can remove it? The cylinder goes down all the way?

This is seeming vaguely like a problem of the hydraulic cylinder not pushing down all the way. Coincident with having the fluid changed, if there is too much fluid in the system, it won't be able to lower all the way. In a meyer pump, usually this results in the main lift seal popping, but I'm not familiar enough with western pumps to know how they would respond to this condition. I can't even conceive of a way that the a-frame could bind and prevent the plow from lowering.

BTW; I think that he is writing "TK" as short for "TrucK".

11. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

well thanks for all your help , i appreciate your time.. i know i dont see anywhere the frame is bindind either or anything in its way i might try to take it back this morning see if they can look at it thanks again!!

12. dieselss

I didn't say aframe bent. I said the piviot pins. Goto search function and type in piviot pin zerks

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You're obviously imagining things that aren't even slightly possible.
    And please pay more attention when you're reading things. Nobody suggested a bent a-frame, but just for arguments sake, a bent a-frame will go up and down just as well as a non-bent a-frame. Go look at the pivot points and try to imagine HOW you could POSSIBLY arrange for them to get SO STUCK that gravity alone will stop them from moving, and then just to add fun to it, how they could get that stuck, but only through PART of the range of motion.

Greasing the pivot pins might be nice, to prevent wear for a plow that is VERY heavily used, but it won't make any significant different when it comes to the plow moving about those pins.

14. dieselss

well sorry bout the bent a frame thought i read that...now as far as stuck piviot pins,,,,your wrong the last one i did at work was rusted so bad that it would hit the ground. had to heat the piviot bar cherry to free everything up. thats why i did the wright up on it.
    we do do comercial plowing,, but that aint got anything do with the tea in china when it comes to rusty parts. it can and will stop a 800lb plow from dropping all the way to the ground

15. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

thanks , i took it in and the pivot bar is not moving its frozen up . the snow plow tech said the older westerns are notorious for this and he just changed 3 of them in the the last few weeks. he showed me what it was so had to leave there of course they didnt have all the parts in otherwise they would have done it right then. He showed me on the new westerns they put grease fittings on now and are sealed, where these he said get moisture in and start to freeze up. My plow is 10 yrs old but still in good shape... Thanks for everyones help hopefully wont get to much snow here 40 miles south of chicago!!! at least until i get my plow back!!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  16. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Wrong...

Happens quite often actually.

17. dieselss

not sure if they are gunna do it or not,,but either drill and tap out the piviot bar for zerks,,or i think theres an updated bar with the zerks already installed.

18. dieselss

thanks,,,i knew there were a few more pple on here that had that done
    i guess ill just wait for an apology then, since things like this happen all the time per the western mechanic!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  19. roger1117

roger1117 Junior Member

thats a good idea. i wonder if they do have a bar with zerks in them i should ask them, its prob more expensive though.

20. dieselss

i thought i heard/read that theres an updated one,,,like the ones on the wideouts. not 100% but might not hurt to ask,,,,if not its not that bad to put them in yourself