1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra-mount plow emergency kit

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LVHardscape, Jan 28, 2011.

1. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

I'm going to be buying one as a CYA kinda thing. Worth it? what usually goes on them?

2. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

had mine for 7 years nothing has broken knock on wood. the kit comes with a hose spring and a few fittings not sure its worth it.

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

its worth every penny when its 1 am and you blow a hose!:nod:

4. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

thats kinda what i thought. Are hose blow-outs common?

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Ive only had one blow in 11 yaers but the kit has other things in it to that ive used a pin the oil that kinda thing imo it was worth the money

6. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

good call. I think i'm going to buy one and also add a coil to the kit, since the coils are all the same part number. this way i'll have hoses, motor solenoid and a spare coil.

7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

it may be awhile before you need it but when you do you will be glad you had it

8. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

:mechanic:

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Not sure what is in the kit but I think having parts is priceless. I would think a hose, solenoid, fluid, and some pins. I don't think a spring would be a bad idea but if you break a spring the plow would still work .

One other point it may sound stupid but make sure you have all the tools you will need to change out the spare parts you have.

10. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

learned that lesson years ago!! now i keep a full set of std. and metric 1/4", 3.8" and 1/2" sockets, deep and shallow, and an assortment of adjustable wrenches, pliers, vice grips, screw drivers and what not. I got these awesome toolboxes from sears that are like 2' long but only 6" high, and they fit perfectly behind the seat on my ford, Tools are priceless for repairs in a hurry or on the road!.

11. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I put one together seperately and it cost less than buying the emergency kit from Western.
    Definately cheap insurance to carry along.

12. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

yea i thought about putting one together myself as well! longes line i would need, temp replace ment for any line, motor solenoid, angle fitting, and coil. if a trip spring brakes i'de keep plowing, just carefully.

13. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I had one for 2 years, never needed it (but glad I had it), and then it got stolen. Now I just carry a hose, angle fitting, extra fluid, and of course tools.