1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra Mount or Meyers Express?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lyons Lawn Care, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Lyons Lawn Care

Lyons Lawn Care Junior Member

I have the oppurtunity to buy a brand new Western Ultramount for 4600.00 or I can buy a Meyers Express for 3500.00, Which one would you guys go with? My truck is a 3/4 ton duramax.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with the western. What model plow are you getting?

3. Brad Ent

Brad Ent Junior Member
    from CT

Western - great mounting system, parts are plentiful.

4. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I vote western but imo you need to get at least an 8' to 8'6" plow for your truck

5. tn_ctd

tn_ctd Junior Member
    from TN

We just picked up a 9 foot meyer express for our f450 and the guys love it... no personal experience with western but everyone seems to love them... main reason for going with a meyer is the meyer dealer is ten minutes from our shop

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Western all the way! And get the 8 foot and if you are doing parking lots get a set of wings for it too.

7. Lyons Lawn Care

meyer plow ag 7.5, or wester ultra mount 7.5, now considering getting the 8' after reading the comments.

8. tn_ctd

tn_ctd Junior Member
    from TN

check out the ez mount express from meyer it takes less then a minute to hook up and unhook

9. Lyons Lawn Care

what did it run for that plow?

10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

All modern plows are quick to hook up/unhook. As has been stated many times in other threads-make sure that you think about dealer support, and how mechanically inclined you are, etc when choosing a plow. Generally people on here find that meyer tends to be a bit lower in quality, especially in the area of hydraulics. I think time to connect/disconnect is negligible when it comes to plow selection-who really cares about the 30 seconds here and there, compared to when your plow breaks on you in the middle of your route, and your dealer/parts supplier is 3 hours away??

All plows will break-you need to think about what you are using it for, and how significant a breakdown will be, if it is just your own driveway, then saving the money with a meyer might be worth it. I would spend for the extra quality and get the western assuming all other factors are equal.

11. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say the Western from what I have seen they are alot better built then a Meyer, and for the most part they are everywhere and easy to get parts for them

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Western NO DOUBT!!!!!!!

13. tn_ctd

tn_ctd Junior Member
    from TN

The plow was 3750.

Jb your right about dealer support thats why i went with meyer for my plows its ten minutes from our shop and our nearest western dealer was 2 hours away.... we dont get near as much snow as some of you guys so we arent using them near as much so we can get double the life out of our plows

14. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

Isnt it obvious WESTERN! lol i have an ultramount that works great no problems good luck though

15. procut

procut Senior Member

Western............

16. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

That and because the next nearest plow dealer is on the Ohio/Kentucky boarder.

17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Western with 8' as a minimum.

18. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I picked a Meyer mainly because it fit my budget. The Express was the only model the dealer had in stock and we had a storm coming in the next day.

Knock on wood, but I havent had any major issues with my plow. It is only on it's second season so... I also have a dealer 20 minutes away which doesnt hurt either.

The 5 year warranty is also reassuring.

I have no experience with a Western so I cant comment on them.

19. sbt1

sbt1 Member

The Meyer is good as long as you don't abuse the plow. If you are hard on a plow, a Fisher or Western is the strongest.