1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra mount light plug melting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by theguynextdoor, Feb 25, 2015.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have a 2011 3 plug ultra-mount pro-plus plow on a 2008 F350. My plows lights stopped working, and switched back to truck lights the last time out plowing. I looked into it more today and found that the 11 pin plug between the plow and truck smelled like it was burned. The rubber in the truck side plug was slightly melted around 2 or 3 of the center terminals in the plug. The rubber on the plow side looked melted in the same spot, although not as bad. I took the truck headlights out and looked over all the wiring. I did not find any bad connections or corroded wires, but did find one of the 10AMP fuses in the wiring was broken. I replaced the fuse, and the plows headlights started working properly again. After 5-10 minutes, the 11 pin plug was getting hot and smelled like it was burning again, but the lights were still working.

Before I replaced the plug and wire that goes to the isolation module, what might be causing this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!:mechanic:
  2. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

You have a short somewhere........too much current from the short is causing it to heat up.
    A bad connection in the plug. Too much resistance in the plug is causing the heat.

But I'm not an electrician...so take it for what it is, a guess.
  3. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Thank you. I figured its a short somewhere, but tracing electrical problems is not my strong suit. Id hate to buy a new plug wire and have that one short too.
  4. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Are the pins corroded or otherwise damaged? A loose connection between the pins would definitely cause this, and once it starts it just keeps on going. I doubt you have a short anywhere if you are not blowing fuses. Also, make sure all your ground connections are clean and tight.