1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western ultra mount head light

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ndbowler300, Dec 22, 2015.

1. ndbowler300

ndbowler300 Junior Member

When we installed my headlight harness, both sets of lights were on. High beam and low beam. Talked to a few different people they think iso is bad. Who ever I bought plow from chopped up wiring harness. Need some help
    don't want to spend another 500 if I don't have too

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I think you may have answered your own question replace the harness

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

So do we... like, what truck/plow are you working on?

4. ndbowler300

Yes, it is my truck.

So is there way to check my iso unit???

5. cubicinches

Oh really? It's your truck? Well, that clears things right up.

There's no way to check your iso module... Only if it's someone else's truck.

6. cubicinches

7. ndbowler300

Ok, so should I replace iso to.

8. cubicinches

If you tell me what you're working on, I can probably help you... as in, what kind of truck, and what kind of plow... for starters. That's what I was asking originally.

9. ndbowler300

I'm sorry. It is an ultra mount. 3-port, going on a 2004 Silverado.

Thanks for all of the help.
    I can get the whole wiring kit, for 500

10. ndbowler300

I have the h3-h4 headlight

11. cubicinches

So, all four lights on the truck are on? Do either of the plow lights come on when you plug in the 11 pin from the plow? If so, do the truck lights go out? And you say the harness has been hacked up? Like cut and spliced, repaired?

12. ndbowler300

Yes, they are both on. When I plug in the pin it changes over to the plow lights. When I hit the brights switch it turns them off. Talked to a few people that think the iso is bad. I just don't know where to start. The harness has been repaired.

13. cubicinches

When you installed the plug-in harness, did you orient the connectors for a negative common at the truck harness?

And does the plug in harness have a label on it with a part number? It should be a 28253.

Isolation module failures are very rare. Almost non-existent.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  14. 1olddogtwo

Best one liner of the month.

Details,details, never enough details can be given

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That was CLASSIC!

Just a quick question, do your truck headlights have the brights and lows on when you put the brights on?

Some people do a "all 4 on" mod to the truck and that would transfer to the plow if it has been done to you truck if you have not owned it since new.

Just thought I would ask as I have run in to that problem once and it took me a minute to put my finger on it until I unplugged the plow and tried the truck headlights on their own and saw all 4 were on with brights.

16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the truck low beams stay on when the highs are activated then you need the relay adapter kit to force the plow lights to be either high or low. The truck has two isolated bulbs where as the plow has a single bulb with both high and low beams combined. Having both on at the same time will blow the plow bulbs prematurely because they get too hot. That's why Western offers a relay kit to deal with it. New headlight harnesses have the relays built in but there is an upgrade kit.

Regarding the isolation module.... there is an isolation module tester, we have one at our shop. Western recently offered them to their dealers. Call around and ask your local shops if they have one, and then ask how much they want to charge for a test. It takes more time to plug it in and put it away than the test takes so don't let them hose you for more than 1/2 hour's work.

You could also just pull the headlights and then disconnect the OEM headlight wires from the Western harness one pair at a time, pull both low beams and then reconnect & pull both high beams. If the isolation module is good the plow will only have the low and highs on one at a time.

Something else to consider..... if you bought the plow used with all the truck side wiring did you check to verify that the headlight harness is actually for your truck? There are many different kits for the many different headlight setups. Go to the Western website and go through Quick Match to verify before you start spending money on testing your isolation module.

Can't help but laugh at the preceding submissions. I almost laughed up my spleen reading it. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

17. ndbowler300

Went ahead and bought the new kit, plow lights are working fine now. But I still can't get power to the plow motor. When I hook up the tester to the negative side and touch one side of the solenoid it lights up. None of the others do. I'm thinking it is a ground but not sure. Does my solenoid need to be grounded????

18. 1olddogtwo

Yes it does. Attach to Metal base.

19. ndbowler300

If I put tester on positive and touch the other three terminals they light up. Not sure about that one

20. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

jump the plow motor with jumper cables and see if the
    motor runs, it might spark a bit but then you know is the motors ok