1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra Mount Electrical issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tpalmer, Jan 21, 2012.

1. tpalmer

tpalmer Junior Member
    from 55422

To All; I am brand new to this site and I need help! I have a 2004 GMC 2500hd that I have been plowing with for 7-Years and have had no problems with my Western Ultra Mount Pro Series.
    It started loading down my alternator and battery when activating the controller in any postion right from the start. The Amp/Volt Meter on the dash drops to 9-Volts and battery light comes on, it does recover momentarily, but each time I hit the switch it does it again.
    I have replaced the battery and alternator 3-times in 6-weeks, I have brought the plow in for a check and they said it is working properly and did not think it was the plow causing the issue. I have had the Charging System checked too w/o plow and it passed. But after plowing the last time, I was driving to work w/o the plow and the Alternator / Battery dimmed and dropped to 9-10 volts and all warning lights came on and I had to replace the Alternator again. Please, what is going on?

2. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Are you replacing the alternator with the same one that the factory calls for? If so you can't keep doing that. Get yourself a purpose built high output alternator. (not a rebuild that is more windings in the same size case as all that is going to do is increase the heat buildup and shorten the life of the alternator). Do a search on the BIG 3 and ensure that you do this. DO NOT remove any of the factory wires from the charge circuit, the idea is to add to them to carry more current more efficiently. The ground is by far and away the single most important wire. At the bare minimums, all of your wiring should be 4 guage, ideally a larger wire. Any specialty car audio shop is going to have all the necessary wiring that you will require for the BIG 3 upgrade.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

so for 7 years its been ok,,now acting up....did you check your grounds??? truck and plow?? i mean really ck them,,,pull back a little of the insulation and see what the wires look like??
    kinda sounds like corrosion somewhere.

4. dieselss

try ohming out your power and gnd wires as well,,that might point you in the right direction.

5. tpalmer

tpalmer Junior Member
    from 55422

Thank you for the replies. I have not changed any of the original wiring from the time of the install of the plow. However, I did remove and clean all the connections that I could get at. (except the starter and the ground wire to the engine). To answer the question on the alternators, it failed on the original Alternator and I replaced it with three 145 amp alternators from Autozone. I will check the resistance of the wiring also. What would be the most likely place for corrosion to develop on a 2004 GMC 2500hd with 6.0 engine?

6. dieselss

well the best place for corrosion is ANYWHERE water+electricity=corrosion.
    just the nature of the best so to speak.
    the alt charging wire it kinda small from factory,,upgrade,,,and the way they have it going into the system is kinda stupid imo. bigger wire,and add a ground wire right to the alt.
    i'm also thinking that the a.z alts arent helping either,,,kinda cheap parts. maybe cut your losses and get one from a different parts store,,or a rebuilder.