1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western troubleshooting help !

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KT Unlimited, Jan 1, 2010.

1. KT Unlimited

KT Unlimited Junior Member
    from NW NJ

Yesterday wile out plowing I experienced some problems with my 8' uni mount
    at first the blade showed some hesitation when angling from the full left position back to the right and then after 2 to 3 more left to right moves it wouldn’t angle to the rt at all and when I tried to angle rt the blade would angle to the left.

This is what I’ve done to try to troubleshoots this issue:

Drained fluid checked pump screen (was clean)
    Removed manifold and cleaned and bench tested all cartridges, all working
    When energized.
    Cleaned all electric connections and applied di-grease to all

At a stand still where to turn next any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Corrosion in the grill connector or a faulty controller would be the likely causes.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

check the grill connector for a lose pin or dirt..

4. KT Unlimited

from NW NJ

Grill/plow side connectors where changed at start of this season check for bad pin was first stop and all are fine.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Next step, borrow a controller.

6. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Can you "hot wire" the valve solenoids? This would tell you if your problem is electrical or hydraulic.

7. KT Unlimited

from NW NJ

I've bench tested all solenoids and when energized with 12 volts all open and close correctly

8. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

Try "hotwiring" them at the connector in the cab? One of those Western mauals shows which pin to connect to which pin for the different plow functions. If it works here, then you can assume the controller isn't working right.

9. KT Unlimited

from NW NJ

Figured it out today

the micro processor in the controller was bad, have to say this one tested me in a big way! :dizzy::realmad:
    its bin my experience that when a controller goes bad it stops working all together, this one still worked in the up down and left but rt angle made the blade angle to left acting like a bad solenoid valve or a bad poppet valve

Thanks for all the input <<<<>>>>KT:salute:

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not all all uncommon to lose only one or certain functions on the controllers. Happens quite regularly in fact. Thats why I mentioned borrowing a controller as the next test after you stated the grill connectors were already replaced.

Good to hear you're up and running. :drinkup:

11. KT Unlimited

from NW NJ

Thanks again for all the input B&B