1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western troubles

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by broncscott, Jan 25, 2015.

1. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

Western pro plus on a 1999 f450 diesel. Blade lifts only and engine won't turn off with plow wiring attached. Thanks, Scott

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unimount. Ultramount?

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Is this a new install? New for this truck? Did the truck have any problems before? The only thing that you should be tying into on the truck is the battery, the lights and the ignition wire. I would look at the red ignition wire that comes off the controller cable. Disconnect it from whatever you tied it into and just connect it with a jumper directly to battery positive with a jumper. Now see if the truck will shut off. Maybe you tied into the engine control module wire or something. You need to use an analog test light to find a good ignition connection. That is a test light with a real bulb, not an LED because the LED will not show a low voltage wire. The regular test light will draw enough current to make it glow yellow and dim. A good 12V signal will be bright with an analog test light.
    The plow only going up is another issue but we need to know more details about the model to help. As asked above, is it a uni two plug, a three plug (at the grill) or a newer two plug multiplex unit? Does it have an isolation module or relay light controls.

4. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

Working on this for a friend. Installed on the truck when new. Mounted plow this season and this problem arose. I will find out the mount type. I thought it only had 1 plug. Thanks, Scott

5. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

I think the control wire hooks into the fuse box on a key on fuse. How could the control back feed the fuse box. When the plow harness is disco acted the truck turns off. Thanks again

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When the plow is disconnected the isolation module cuts power to the controller and the plow headlights. The ignition wire is the ONLY connection that could possibly be tied into the ECM or something else that would effect the engine shutting off. Since we don't know what you are tied into there is no way of knowing what the tolerances of that system are. When the isolation module cuts power to the controller I suspect there could be a voltage spike applied to the ignition wire. On a digital system such a pulse could throw off the ECM. Other than this there is no obvious explanation for your situation. The headlight harness isn't likely to tie into the ECM, nor will the signals or park light connections. Of course there are the main battery connections but if they were not connected correctly I would expect the engine not to start rather than fail to shut off. Sounds like an ECM problem to me....

7. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

This is a two plug setup. Ended up being a bad connection on the motor wire plug. Wiggled the wire and it started working. Had to spread the 12 v terminal. Odd thing is the parking lights were on before I wiggled the connector. Thanks for your help. Scott