1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornadoe Vs. Salt Dogg Vbox

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ZoomByU, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

We are trying do decide on which to buy since we are having some many problems with our tailgate spreaders. Any input helps.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the Fisher Polycaster, which is apparently the same as the Tornadoe. I am very pleased with it. The variable speed control works well, and it has been very reliable. I have never seen a Salt Dogg, but I looked at their website. A plus is that you can control the speed of the spinner separate from the auger. But I see the auger as a huge drawback. I know from experience that if the load freezes in mine, the belt will just slip and nothing will be damaged. Once I chip the back end open, I can start the unit and the belt will pull out the material as I loosen it up. I would think that the auger would have to be completely clear before starting it, which means you would have to shovel the entire hopper out.
  3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I have two salt doggs and love them. The auger has never been an issue, and it is auto reversing if it does get clogged. It has done it once to me and freed itself right away. My choice would be the salt dogg. I am buying another next year.
  4. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

We decided to go with the tornadoes, we'll see how they work. Hopefully better than the western 1000's we have been using.