1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by My bowtie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I know the first gen had problems. Went to a local dealer today, and he showed/explained the changes made. He didnt know if it spreads wet sand/salt mix. Said all the guys that he's sold them to only run salt. Anyone run wet stuff through theres?

2. lawnchopper

lawnchopper Junior Member

/bump
    im also interested in finding any info on these

3. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I got one of the first ones and was miserable the entire season. What a POS. Finally, Western came through with all of the upgrades and I have not had a problem since.

4. daplowman

daplowman Member

I love mine but unfortunately i have to move so I am selling mine if anyone is interested... works like a champ. all the mods are done

5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

hey bill,

I 'm searching for one that fits correctly for a 6.5 bed f-350.
    I had heard also about the hiccups with the first ones out;what year is yours? I was just quoted today new"fisher poly" $3,500.
    how much ,thanks

6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

As long as it's had all of the updates you'll be fine. $3500 for a new one is a good price.

7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

thanks rcpd,
    I have know just as most i'm sure these two manufacturers of polys are virtually the same..yes?
    I have know as most here that one targets NE(fisher), while the other is to the west(western) as previous replies, are the western and fisher the same unit including capacity? your price is right on after some haggling with the sales people. thanks again

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

They are exactly the same except for color. They are made by the same company. DD owns both Fisher and Western.

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

thank you... thank you

10. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Do you still have this unit for sale? Might be interested if you do.

11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

an associate in the business purchased a polymer salt dogg this weekend; keeping a good ear open on it's performance(they spread treated and straight sand).

12. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Let us know the outcome of the salt dog polymer plowtime1.

13. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I ran a salt dogg 2 yard last year as my first venture into the poly and electric front and it ran flawlessly! I put about 175 tons through it maybe more and not a single problem due to the spreader. Some corrosion on the terminals and some other small issues getting to know the unit but nothing due to the build. For 3k cannot beat it. The biggest down fall is that you have to run the vib all the time but, overall I would buy another this year if I wasn't buying spray tanks.

14. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

But did you run sand through it ?????? That is the question.

15. SGC08

SGC08 Member

I ran salt/sand mix throught my 1.5yd Salt Dogg last year and it worked fine. I also ran straight anti-skid and it worked fine.

The only thing you have to watch is that if the material is wet it will freeze solid if its in the hopper too long but that is true of pretty much any spreader. I don't think the electric/auger design has as much power to get going if it freezes. Ours only froze when the material was in the hopper overnight.

I have both the Salt Dogg and a gas-powered spreader and all things considered, I think the Salt Dogg is the best spreader for the money and I will probably be buying another one this year unless I get a good deal on something else.

I know someone who has a Tornado and they like it but it is much more expensive for similar performance.