1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eng63Trk16, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Eng63Trk16

Eng63Trk16 Junior Member

What do you guys think?? Any risk takers??
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I checked out the fisher version it seems well built and a very solid design. I plan on getting one possibly this winter.
  3. winteroasis

winteroasis Junior Member

I am getting the fisher installed next week. I can't wait until its time to use it.
  4. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Before you buy you ay want to check our the all electric Swenson Poly-Hawk.

Bob Church
    Karrier Cmpany
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I did.. very nice looking unit weight is an issue for me... i wanted something light so it would be easy to move on and off.
  6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I just bought a Tornado $3179. What doya think?
  7. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Guys- Check out some of the other threads here. I have posted replies on two other threads about the Tornado. I saw them at the Western Factory open house. Very impressed. Got to talk to engineers and salesman. I am getting one. Preseason sales around here are under 3k. I am getting mine installed for 2800. Going price is 3000-3300 installed.
    Any more questions just ask.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

for those who are lucky enough to have seen one (local dealers have not taken delivery yet) is the spreader solid or is a hollow type of plastic. I was thinking of rigging up some strobes in it when I get mine.
  9. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

From what I have seen it is a hollow type of plastic frmae work. This is what helps to keep the weight down.
  10. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I am always cautious about NEW products, even if they are put out by reputable companies. Usually takes a year for the quirks to be worked out of them and you are stuck with the old version, or are in need of the upgrades which are usually never free.

I got burned when I bought that hunk of sh*t TryNex Vpro the first year it came out. I know that the company isn't as reputable as Western but still...........
  11. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Western has had the Tornado in the works for a few years and put a couple out there last season I believe it was in three locations with three different contractors. Since then they made a few changes, but overall came back with flying colors. I am like you Andy..generally a little hesitant about new products. This one I am not. I bought the new Western MVP the first year it came out with no problems. I am buying another one this year. I would be buying the MVP Plus if it wasn't for the differences which make compatibilty a problem. Due to the new style they changed plugs and controller plug in. The only way to make the old work with the new is $$$$$.
  12. TritonSnownIce

TritonSnownIce Junior Member

Saw the Tornado at the local dealer. Looks like a nice unit.
  13. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I just installed my Tornado last night. Very well built product. Western has been listening to us. They aren't wasting any money on R & D. Another great product from Western.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

How does the sander fasten to the bed. I'm going to go look at one today. My L/D told me that you have to bolt it to the bed. Has anyone else have this???
  15. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

It has bolt holes if you want to bolt it to the bed. I am just using tie downs.
  16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Is that really a good idea? I know tie down make things seem nice and tight and stay in there, but I'd rather something bolted down.
  17. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

That's the way my other trucks are. I've never had a problem. I'm not drilling holes in the bed of my 2006 Silverado. I use 4 tie downs criss-crossed and another pulling straight down. I buy new tie downs every year. It's not going anywhere.
  18. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

I've seen some pretty big differences in price. What are they selling for now that the pre season sales are over?

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I went and ordered mine today. I think I will be strapping mine down. No way I'm gonna bolt mine to the bed...3200 out the door installed.
  20. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Western does recommend thbat you bolt it down. My dealer just says to use the tie downs. My Icebreaker I use the tie downs as well. I got mine installed for $2800. Around here if your dealer was able to buy preseason you might find them from$2800 to $3k. After preseason sales prices are going up $3k -3300.

I have looked at many spreaders and this one is better than just about anythign else I have found. To me it is worth the investment.

Western must have done something right if they can't produce them fast enough. They are pretty much sold out. If your dealer didn't order preseason it may take a month or more to see one.