1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western tornado

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dirtboy953B, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

I think this is the right place to post this,I have a new western tornado salt spreader and I keep having trouble with the spinner,first it kept loosing the pulley on the motor,after I put the third one on it started throwing the belt off and breaking them. Everything seems to be running true.Has anyone else had this kind of trouble? Thanks

2. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Just do a search on all posts by me and you will see all the trouble I have had with mine. Western finally replaced the whole spinner chute assembly on mine and so far so good. western made some changes to the spinner so I hope it solves my problem because I don't have time for down time.

3. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

I cant my dealer to work with with us,they would not even replace the pulleys

4. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

who is the dealer?

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Have a look at the belt tensioner, they are kind of cheezy and can easily be improved by changing the pivot bolt and adding some flat washers. Just look between the motor pully and the large pully by the electric clutch, you will see another small pully or "idler" between them that puts tension on the belt with a dinky little spring. Make sure that idler is straight with the belt and that it isn't too tight or too loose.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sorry I thought this was an icebreaker, the tornado has no tensioner or gas motor, sorry. On the tornado if the belt gets thrown you probably have a loose pully on the spinner shaft or a missalignment problem. Pull the spinner assembly off and then remove the plastic cover from the motor. Make sure the pullies line up and that the large pully is not sliding up and down the spinner shaft. These pullies are actually cog sprockets not v belt pullies. If they continue throwing belts they will eventually break the motor shaft.