1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by F450, Sep 13, 2009.

1. F450

F450 Junior Member

Anyone use one of these? Looking for 2 Bed spreaders & storage space looks very appealing on these.:)

2. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I am going to a dealer tomorrow to look at the westerns and the fisher polycast. So ill let you know what i think of them

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have been looking at spreaders for a 1 ton dump & got quoted "around" $5500 installed & OTD for the big one the other day(i think its 2.8 cu yds)....but I'm thinking I may go with a replacement tailgate (electric) unit of some kind instead, snowex or truckcraft?......I will say that I was impressed with them and the features, and it's what I would get if I decide to go that route instead of the tailgate replacement.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My PolyCaster has been good for the past two seasons. DD made some big changes this year, I haven't had a chance to see one up close.

5. F450

F450 Junior Member

Thanks guys, looks like the Wester and Fisher are one in same?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

And Blizzard. If decide you like the Douglas Dynamics stuff best, you can get dealers to compete for the best price.

7. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I saw the New 1.8 ( for a 8' bed) Tornado at a county fair in July. They had it mounted in a 2009 Chevy 2500HD. It looks like a good solid unit. They now have a chain instead of a rubber belt, they have 2 motors, and the tie downs look more solid then the first gen. models. It looked like the shoot is adjustable, you dont have to buy an extended for a taller truck. Dont quote me on this, that is how it looked to me. There is also 3 models 1.5, 1.8 and 2.5. I had him give me a price for a new 1.5 Tornado with the inverted V, they want $4900 for it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You pretty much nailed the "improvements". I don't know what to say about the bed chain. Obviously it's worked for years. But the belt is smooth, and won't rust.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The shoot is adjustable, for like a pickup or flatbed/dump.....its also really easy to take completely off so you can pull a trailer.

10. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That is true. the delaer i spoke to said that the chain is more heavier duty then the belt ( obviously) It looks like it will work better under load, dont forget it is electric driven. We will have to see. We were going to look in to buying one this year, but we are going to hold out until next year.

That is a nice feature. The old gen. had a removable shoot but not adjustable.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One advantage of the belt is that since it's friction driven, you'll never break it. I have a friend that has broken a few bed chains when the load has frozen.

12. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

dont get that 1st generation with the belt. do a search about tornado spreader, alot of big problems those guys wrote about

13. Colombocustom

Colombocustom Junior Member

I have an older gen with the belt and never had any problems with it. I have had it for 3 seasons, this will be it's fourth and put over 150 tons through it.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Two seasons for me, probably better than 100 ton. No problems.

15. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Mine had worked great for 2 seasons. The only problem I had was self inflicted. I pinched the main electrical cable under the hopper. I hope this season will be just as good.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's an interesting comment from a guy with 27 posts. Because I'm a little bored, I actually did a search for tornado. Read all the posts commented on this year. Not one bad comment. When they first came out, there were some problems with the motors, which DD fixed. And I think they made a change to the belt/pulley, but I'm not sure. Yes, you have to occasionally tighten the belt. I did mine twice. Takes about ten minutes. Takes longer than that to change your oil in a gas job every fall.

Do you own a DD poly spreader to justify these comments? Have you used other spreaders to make comparisons?

17. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

hey this is my 31st post if your keeping tabs.

you must have not did a a good enough search. i thought you were the king of the "search button"

search Western Tornado!!! with the exclamation points. read pages 4,5,6,7.

there IS a FEW bad ones.

:D