1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IA snoman, Jun 21, 2013.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

So guys I am looking for a little help here. I have a Tornado spreader and used it all winter. After I was done using it (May 3 snow storm) I washed it out to put it away for the summer. Well the conveyor turned on but then stopped. Took it to my local shop and they couldn't get it to budge so they took the chain apart. It is stiff as a board. They think I should either soak it or replace but that the chain is causing the bind and that is why it wont turn. What are your thoughts on replacing or trying to fix current chain. Also what does everyone do to there spreaders to keep them clean or service them for the summer?
    Btw the spreader is 4yrs old I think.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

We are talking just the drive chain correct? As in a #40 roller chain for example? If so........change it. I change mine often. Whether it be for stretching from heavy use or seizing up over time, it's worth the few bucks to do it annually. I buy them at TSC by the rolls. Packs of master links too.

3. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

No. I am talking about the conveyor chain that moves the material out of the hopper itself. Not the moter and sprocket chain.

4. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Not sure what #40 chain is. Maybe we are talking about the same thing.

5. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

You're not talking about the same thing....

#40 Chain:
    [​IMG]

Conveyer Chain AKA "What IA Snowman Needs!"
    [​IMG]

its probably better to just replace the chain. Its Roughly $480 Bucks but its one less thing you have to think about in the middle of the night. Also I would keep the old chain... See f you can soak it well and get it going again and throw it in a box so you can have a replacement JUST incase something does happen at 3AM one night.