1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado Spinner Issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chris pitkin, Dec 7, 2013.

1. chris pitkin

chris pitkin Junior Member

My Western Tornado has played back up to 2 Western and Fisher stainless steel gas spreaders in our company. Recently we had to use the electric Tornado and today we started having problems with they system shutting off with the red light in the center of the control pad flashing continuously until we pushed the off button. We could reactivate the system, but it would shut off again - sometimes minutes later and sometimes seconds - with eventually the time getting shorter and shorter until it eventually would not run. After further inspection it appears that the drag chain is working, but the spinner is not. When the system is turned on and then shuts off after a second or two there is salt dumping on the spinner. So I believe the drag chain is pulling salt out but the spinner is not spinning because of the salt sitting on the spinner. I have not had time to inspect it more and the high her in Minneapolis today was 2 above (not including wind chill).

Any tips would be helpful - thanks!
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Check the electrical connections going to the spinner motor, also check the belt from the motor to the spinner it is a known issue make sure it's tight
  3. chris pitkin

chris pitkin Junior Member

Thanks - i did check the electric connections to the spreader and added dielectric grease, but I did not check the connections to the motor itself. I did check the belt and it is snug/tight. Thanks