1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado Sander problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MSsnowplowing, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

The background.
    I bought this brand new 3 years ago.
    Two days ago my controller died.
    Come to find out the controller plugs in the back broke off into the plug.
    A new controller is over $400 dollars.
    I mean only 3 years and now I have to replace it.
    I personally believe where I had installed they put in the wiring too tight and that is what caused it too happen, but the design itself looks to me like this well happen again down the road.
    Other than having them make the wire a lot looser any suggestions to keep this from happening again?

I really don't want to have to replace this again.

And the best part it died during the storm and the shop had no replacement.
    So I had someone standing in my hopper shoveling out salt after the storm. 3 hours just to salt 5 contracts.
    You gotta love the snow business.

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It might be Karma for making that guy shovel his way out the other week...lol

Look for a member Jeff Kopp. I believe his name on here is kopper10. He works for western and has helped me in the past. The issue you are discribing is a know issue with that controller, western was very concerned with my issues and kept me happy. Good luck.

There are multiple threads if you search western controller.

3. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

i own 4 of them. I have had the same problem with all them. a very poor design. I was able to get one under warranty. they now have a reinforced clip in the back. I took mine to a local computer repair store. they charged me $40 to solder them back in place. all but one of them took. give that a try.

also the $400 seems over priced to me. a buddy did a search and found them on the net some where for 220. Also call around to fisher and blizzard dealers. They are the same controllers for the sander with there name on it. might be able to get one in stock that way.

good luck

4. MSsnowplowing

Thanks for the info.

I like that idea of fixing the old controller, might try that with my old one then I well have a back up. Just in Case.

You know thinking back, I now know there was a problem the controller the first year I bought it.

The blaster feature stopped working for the spinner the first year I had it.
    You hit the button and the belt moved faster but the spinner didn't.
    Since I never use that feature I wasn't too concernced about it.

Live and learn.

5. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Mr Markus is correct. The supplier who Mfg's the control had an issue with the strain relief on the back of the control. Even though its 3 years old, we'll cover this. Feel free to call me in the morning, and we'll make sure you're taken care of. 207-701-4230.

John Murphy
    VP Sales, Douglas Dynamics

6. Mr.Markus

Thumbs Up Good to see a manufacturer stand behind their product even with the little guys.

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

NICE! Thumbs Up

Never heard anyone admit Mr Markus is right but just this once :rolleyes:

8. Mr.Markus

Just the one's that matter Dean...just the ones that matter.:);)

9. MSsnowplowing

Update

Been a bit busy since I posted and today is the first day getting back online since then.

I haven't called Mr Murphy and well do that today.

I did get a new controller from where I bought my sander from and it was a lot less than that $425 dollar one.
    FYI it was a dealer in RI that quoted me that price.

They did fix the problem and the new controller is reinforced in the back so I don't forsee any more plugs breaking off.

Overall I really like my western tornado sander.
    It does the job and keeps the salt dry and I would recomend one to anyone.

Thanks for the input everyone and have a great weekend.

10. MSsnowplowing

Update: What a great company.

Just got off the phone with Western and they are covering the replacement.

I have always liked western for their durability and performance and them standing behind their products is refreshing in this day and age.

I would recommend Western plows and sanders to anyone.

Now if we can only get some more snow. payup