Snow Plowing Forum banner

Western tornado or buyers salt dog sphe1500

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hysert 
#1 ·
Guys what are your thoughts on these 2 spreaders which one would you buy if you had the choice thanks for the imput

#2 ·
The Tornados/Polycasters are both very nice units. I bought the Saltdogg 1500 to save some coin. The first year I had a lot of problems with mine. After I figured out that I need to keep the baffles opened up all the way I haven't had any problems. The hard top doors on the Tornado are nice, but I would have had to take my ladder rack off if I had the Tornado, because the doors wouldn't open with the ladder rack on.

#3 ·
We have been running tornados for 8 years?? Think we've had 3, currently have a 1.5yd and a 2.5yd. They have all been Gen2s, the doors are great! However really strong wind will rip them open so I throw a strap over, both have inverted Vs as well. Never had a issue with them, besides the odd jam up from a chunk or harden up but nothen serious! Removing the spinner unit for filling salt boxes is handy, they also tend to pull material under between the box and chain so we clean them out periodically! Make yourself a tool that's "L" shaped long enough to reach and pull the material out. I've also added a prewet to the 2.5 and another riser so it's actually 3.3yds... ive also permanently mounted the adjustable gate feed because the linkage is junk, so when you need more crank up the conveyor! Goodluck with your purchase cause they ant cheap prices have gone way up over here!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.