1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado No Power

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dmlandcare, Dec 16, 2007.

1. dmlandcare

dmlandcare Junior Member

Have a western tornado that isnt getting any power at the motor. Spreader was working fine, until i went to wash the truck off today to get all the salt off. Went back out tonight to do some cleanups and went to use the salter and there was no power. The light on the module was flashing 4 times. Owners manual says "batter fuse is blown, or cab assembly is disconnected ot faulty"......checked the fuse thats fine. Checked all connections and they seemed fine. Any ideas.....
  2. dmlandcare

dmlandcare Junior Member

update.........So i went ahead and tested the volts. I tested the volts from the battery into the spreader module, and i got 15.59V .....then I tested the volts coming out of the spreader module to the motor and I got 0.0V..........then i ran 12V directly to the spreader motor and it worked. This leads me to believe that I have a bad spreader module. Sound right, anyone have any other ideas or does this sounds like its obviously a bad module.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

glad i'm not the only one. I have a new motor on the way. the brushes in my motor seized up. the motor is not water tight and there was a lot of corrosion inside. they are going to warranty it but still doesn't make up for the lost $$. It crapped out on me right in the middle of 2 ice storms.

good luck to you. get it to the dealer ASAP. I was told I got the last motor from Tennessee and it will be here on Thurs. I hope
  4. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Our local Western dealer wouldn't even consider selling us the "Tornado". They said that they didn't want to lose us as a customer. According to them, they've had nothing but problems, mostly with the conveyers. I hadn't heard about any controller problems yet.
  5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Are these problems on the new ones?
  6. dmlandcare

dmlandcare Junior Member

The new ones are much better, Western has done alot of work to fix their issues. Anyway....update on my situation, had a bad spreader module, got a new one and spreader works just fine now. I have to give a hand to the tech guys at Western, they helped me out alot and did alot of reasearch to help me diagnose this problem. Great crew of tech guys over there.