1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado junk spinner motor.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by all ferris, Dec 31, 2010.

1. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Well, 1 year to the day I had the spinner motor break for the 2nd time on my 2nd gen Western Tornado. The shaft of the motor is not big enough and it shears off right at the bottom bearing of the motor. The only thing I can think of is that the load the spinner puts on the motor shaft shears it off. It pisses me off that this is the second time the motor has broken on christmas day when no one is open. Now I keep a spare with me but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the spinner motor shaft is too small. I really hope someone at DD reads this and then contacts me and I will certainly help them re-engineer the design. The other thing that is part of the problem is that the spinner motor probably needs a "slow start" voltage regulator to keep from putting so much stress on the motor shaft when you hit "blast".

Get it together DD.....you are costing me money!!!!!:angry:

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You want to talk to Dan or Patrick of Westernproducts. They are members of the site and are 2 stand up guys who stand behind their products. That Western has a 2 year warantee and I'm sure they will help you out, if your dealer doesn't they'll want to know. They helped me with mine out of warantee and that kind of support was not expected.
    It's been a great spreader with few issues, and breaking down on a Holiday does suck.. sorry about your luck.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yeah, Good luck with that.

I know 2 guys who have Western Tornado's and is the reason I bought a SnowEx 8500.
    I looked at the Tornado real close and almost pulled the trigger on one but after real research and talking to the guys I know I went with the SnowEx. Pretty bad you have to carry spare parts and hope not to use them.

Best salter Western made was the 1000 and 2000 tailgate models. Do not like the chain drive at all. Good luck and let us know please if DD gets a hold of you.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i had that happen also...suppossedly the replacement was a redesign version...was your replacemnet the "new" design?

5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i had this same issue last year... it was warranteed with the "new design" biggest problem was with tension on the belt... took to dealer fixed problem, now no longer an issue, have run several hundred yards through it with the new "fix" without issue.... m
    My problem with the tornado is the stupid ******** design they have for the remote.. the plug is soldered directly to the board, i have gone through 3 controllers so far, and DD has done Shi tt to correct the problem... very crappy and cheap design...

6. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

The first time it broke they gave me the redesigned motor and I thought it was fixed cause I have run a lot of salt through it (200+ yards) and then it broke again.

7. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Had the same problem last night, seem to be getting cooperation from the dealer at least. Hope the improved model works better. I also had the controller problem as well, couldn't believe how lightly made that connection is. I told the dealer to out source to one of the video game people, maybe we could get some more rugged gear, I think we pay enough, don't you?

8. White Knight

White Knight Member

9. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Yup, that's the baby, we also screwed up a belt when the pulley slid down the shaft. Sometimes I think I should have bought 3-4 old spreaders rather than this new one, it's given a lot of problems so far........

10. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

my pulley would slide down too. I fixed this by installing a stainless steel hose clamp around the pulley shaft. whats the deal with the controller? I haven't had any problems with mine yet (knock on wood). And yes that is exactly what the motor looks like when it breaks.

11. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

Where the wires connect to the circuit board the leads are soldered and completely unsupported, any movement or vibration and they snap off. Very poor design. They did honor the warrenty however. Cheers, FMK