1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado issues...have you had similar problems?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowcommander, Nov 17, 2014.

1. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

Anyone else have a Western Tornado? I have two of them and I'll be quite honest I'm not very satisfied with them. We haven't had them quite two years and we've had to replace all the wiring on both, the spinner motor on one chains on both, deflector, spinner assembly, one lid, and the list goes on and on. The modules have really made me upset. We've had one module Western has replaced under warranty, and another that I've had to buy myself, so in not quite two years they've each went through 2 modules and another is on it's 3rd as of today. We really are not hard on things, though it may seem that we are, and we do grease and service them after each storm. I just don't think these things can hold up for what they say they can. As I"m typing this there's a Tornado ad above that says "You deserve a spreader that stands up to the challenge", but I don't know if this is the one. Anyone else have similar issues? I love my WideOuts and I will always keep Western plows, but I'm thinking about going to Hi-Way spreaders. Any opinions?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We run a polycaster which from what I can gather is the same basic unit and all we've changed is a spinner bearing and a drive chain. Have you had these back to your dealer? What have they said?

3. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

They fix what they can. Western decides what to put under warranty and some things they have been covering and others they haven't. Ive got so good at fixing them if they dont cover it Ill do it all myself. We love in a rural area so my dealer is 40 minutes away. Very frustrating last year when we had the polar vortex and we're pushing a foot of snow and new stuff doesn't work...