1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tornado 1.5, 7', Problem Loading and Unloading on P/U Bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by njsnowguy, May 6, 2012.

1. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

I have a Ford F-350 dually with an 8' bed. Just picked up a 1.5 Tornado. I am a disabled Vet can't lift much and wanted to know if anyone knows of the easiest possible way to get the salter in and out of the truck. Tornado is strapped now, but will bolt it in the bed for the season. Meanwhile not in the season yet, got to get it out, need the bed. Maybe some day p/u a dump bed insert, might be easier. Any ideas?

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Those poly spreaders are fairly light so I would suggest a chain hoist hooked to a tree limb if you have one in your yard avabial to you or a modified engine hoist that what I did. I took a telescoping boom engine hoist and added a 2 ft height to main mast and that lifts my alumium spreader out of mine

3. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

Thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. I will look into it

4. CCL LLC

CCL LLC Junior Member

I have the same size polycaster and I can get it in and out solo. If your going to leave it in for the season just have someone give you a hand. Its easier getting the speader out just slide it out enough to get in the bed behind it and let gravity do the rest. Some strength needed to put it on end. Thank you for your service

5. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

thanks

Thank you for thekind words and advise.çan you advise how you like the tornado?just told leave no material in hoped over night.how do you store it.

6. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I don't hav a tornado, but i did ask someone who has a fisher poly spreader, and asked him how it worked using bulk salt, and he said it works great. Just keep ur chain well lubed, fluid film baby lol

7. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I have a polycaster and we tip it in and out of our 1 ton dump with 2 guys. With 1 guy I use the dump body to help lift it in and out.

I can get it in and out of our pickups just by tipping it on end in and out. If you are not able to push or lift it on your own you could lean it on the tail gate and use a ratchet strap or come along to pull it down into the bed and vise versa to get it out.

Thank you for your service and good luck with the spreader you will like it!

8. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

Thanks fisherboy.your very welcome and thanks for the kind words and great advise.I cant wait to use her.we used a western 1000 and bated capacity and bridging nonsense. Thanks again

9. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

mount a receiver in your truck bed and use a winch
    We put 4x4s on the bottom of ours so they slide better and are raised up to not freeze up with sand

10. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

Thanksso much for your advise!

11. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

Thanks to all for your vast amount of great tips.Such a great site and everyone has been way informative and nice.Now if I could only figure out how to obtain more commercialnand residential accounts.

12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Just a FWIW...Unless special ordered, the salters do not come with inverted V's. I just fabed my own.(you can also buy them)..wasn't sure how electric would handle the whole load bearing down on conveyor after traveling through the night...might not ever be an issue but I played it safe...you'll love it...we have had no problems spreading salt...a couple minor assembly problems from the factory though,
    Steve

13. njsnowguy

njsnowguy Junior Member

Thanks Steve your advise is greatly appreciated.