1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Tech Support

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by buckhigh, Jan 20, 2015.

1. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

So I'm having costly issues with a dealer locally, and have reached out to Western tech support numerous times to discuss the matter. Anybody have a contact besides John who returns calls? Customer service has been no help as well...thanks!

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have no idea if Jeff is still there but here you go...try this and let me know if he's still around. jkopp@douglasdynamics.com 414-362-3832

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming "John" as in John Murphy? He's been the only one that's been any help for me.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Call and ask for Hugh Wilson.

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

X2.....Jeff is a Super Nice guy....Knows his stuff....:salute:

6. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Thank you for all the feedback. Hugh has sent me a pm, and I will contact him asap tomorrow to discuss my issues.

7. 1olddogtwo

Hugh is a great guy.

8. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Dealing with you im sure he is..........:dizzy:......:laughing:

9. 1olddogtwo

He is a very patient man. I tryed finding his last nerve, but failed.

10. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Not to get into great detail on here about my current issues, but looking for a couple quick opinions on my situation.

First question, how does moisture and metal shavings get into the hydraulic system? I initially started having freezing problems after my first oil change and flush. After the oil change, plow was stored in a shop until the first storm this year where it froze on me. They claimed it was full of gunk. How? They had just did a flush prior to storage? If there were metal shavings in the system prior to the oil change, wouldn't a flush get them all out?

Secondly, one dealer claims I will always gets moisture into the system through the ram seals. They recommend an oil change monthly. The second dealer who currently is working on my plow claims the system is designed to be moisture resistant and only recommends an oil change once a year. Is my plow really going to freeze on me every other driveway?

Third, after the initial oil change, my plow would not stay up. It would either drop completely to the ground, or sag 4" before catching itself. Dealer along with Western could not diagnose the problem, and sent me on my way with a $160 bill for fixing nothing. The dealer along with Western claimed that the blade will always sag back down 4" upon releasing the up/down button on the control pad. I don't see how they could claim this is normal when it never did that prior to the initial oil change. Do dealers really charge for attempting to fix something that in the end never gets fixed? Until something major fails internally, my plow will always sag 4"...drives me crazy. Until then the dealer/Western had no answer for me.

Fourth, the initial dealer (Judco Inc.) told me to run the plow hard, hit something, bend something so it will stop doing what's it doing. Maybe that will fix the problem? What dealer would recommend that to a customer?

Lastly, one of my rams has a Western UPC/part number sticker on it. Never seen that before when I bought the plow new. I was told by another dealer (who currently is working on my plow), that new plows don't have part number stickers on them out of the crate. Only replacement parts. Is this true? Is it possible my plow was damaged during service and one of the angling rams was replaced without me knowing about it?

Thank you for any feedback you might have...

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Moisture is not gunna get in your plow unless something is wrong.
    If the fluid was charged then stored, that might be where the moisture came from.
    If all the fluid wasn't flushed out, you'll never get all the water out.
    Sounds like you need some new dealers out that way.

12. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Judco Inc.

And I thought the Exmark dealers in Cleveland were bad...if you only knew the nightmare Judco has caused me along with over $1k in repairs that keeps going up. Sucks. Only in Cleveland...

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Hi Buckhigh,
    so is it an Ultramount plow? Usually the most likely place for water to get in, assuming the system was all drained, is pitted and/or rusty rams. But we don't see that much on Ultramounts yet, but do on Unimounts quite often.

a plow that has shavings in the fluid would have to be from the pump itself, or some cylinders used to have split aluminum stops at the bottom of the rams that would get pulverized when the ram would over-extend, but again that was unimount not ultramount.

suggesting to run into something and bend something is dumb. charging money to not fix something is also not general practice, I wouldn't think. I know we wouldn't. We might have the case where we fix something the best we can, and can't get it better because the customer doesn't want to replace some major component or something, but the situation you describe where they are just still scratching their head and didn't really do anything is not something you should have to pay for.

and sagging 4" I don't get either. do you mean you raise the blade all the way up and then it drops 4" on it's own and stops there? and you mean the ram actually goes down some? that doesn't really make sense, but if you confirm that that's what you are saying then someone here will help you figure that out.

and lastly yes, I'd say they swapped a cylinder. Maybe if they had run out of cylinders and had to rob one, and then replaced it at some point while the plow was still in their inventory, before you even bought it, that would be the other possible explanation. But I'd say yes, it was changed at some point.

14. John_DeereGreen

Please keep this thread up to date as far as what happens. I'm curious to see how this is handled.

And there's no way in holy hell I'd pay for anything that didn't fix any issues at all. That's BS.

15. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Get the popcorn ready...an update to come this evening.

16. John_DeereGreen

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Is that enough or am I going to have to go stock up with more?

17. dd3brand

dd3brand Junior Member

Please let me know how everything works out for you Tony! It is a pleasure doing business with you and I hope your are satisfied with the outcome! I also appreciate your patience as we worked through your issue and I also know that there was no intention of harm or foul by Judco....a very ironic issue that you had with your plow that would be confusing to many technicians! Rest assured you will be very happy with the repair of you plow and you will have many great years of usage out of it. Douglas Dynamics/ Western Products appreciates your business and loyalty to our products!

18. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Update: First, thank you for all of the suggestions and contacts at Western Products. Almost immediately after posting my situation, Hugh Wilson, the Manager of Tech Support reached out to me to discuss the issues and offer his help in finding a resolution. As I explained the issues to Hugh, he immediately knew what caused the moisture to get into the pump, and why the blade was not holding. The issue was caused by a bolt that was broken off which then became lodged in the manifold. This prevented the plastic cover from sealing correctly which allowed the moisture to get into the system. In addition to that, the S1 valve needed to be replaced which cured the blade drop. Hugh was extremely helpful and went the extra mile to help find a resolution that would be to my satisfaction. I am more than pleased to say that Western Products has offered to reimburse me for a portion of the original costs I incurred as well as the additional expenses that were necessary to get the plow completely fixed and operational. Hugh, I appreciate all of your time, effort and help with this issue and I am very happy with the outcome. I have to say it is refreshing that a company like Western Products truly values their customers and wants to ensure they are satisfied. It’s experiences like this that will make me a return customer of Western Products.

19. 1olddogtwo

Told Ya, Hugh is a good guy.

Good to hear your up and going ready to make $$$

20. John_DeereGreen

That's impressive. Props to Hugh and DD/Western.