1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western tailgate 1000

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dcj387, Sep 14, 2010.

1. dcj387

dcj387 Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm having a problem getting the spreader to throw salt. I put 4 bags in turned it on and it didn't spread. No electical problem, i emptied the salt and the auger did spin and with variable speeds. I just isn't working with salt (kinda need it to!). Any idea what is wrong?
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

there is a set screw up by the motor that needs to be tightened, its a pain to reach, your kinda upside down to do it.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure your wires are hooked up right? I had an older buyers spreader with the auger that pulled the salt down to the spinner plate that got the wires hooked up backwards. Instead of augering the salt down to the spinner, it was augering it back into the hopper making it almost useless.

My driver was out spreading salt on one of our larger accounts, he called and said it wasn't throwing it very well and I told him it probably had a chunk stuck and it would be fine. Well he calls 45 mins later and says he is done I asked with what and he said it took that long to run the salt out of the hopper. :laughing:

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My Fisher 1000 (same thing) did kind of the same thing. It would work just fine when empty but when there was 2 or more bags in it, it would freeze up and the controller started to beep at me. The blast feature would still spread it just fine but nothing else until it was almost empty. I think I have a controller/wiring issue. If I use it this year I'm going to order new wiring and a new controller. The controller is SnoEx and the wiring is from a spreader that went on my DownEaster. Its definitely a Frankenstein spreader,lol
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

is the belt slipping?
  7. rleach

rleach Junior Member

if the shaft turns the set bolt on the auger is not tight and will not turn causing no salt to come down or the set screw on the belt drive is not tight.