1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western suburbarnite lights not working

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tfapps, Dec 12, 2011.

1. tfapps

tfapps Junior Member
    from CT

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I bought a used suburbanite last year and the lights never worked. I get no power at the lights. Connections all seem to be correct.

Thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What kind of lighting system does it have? Relays, isolation module three or four port? Do all the plow functions work OK? What vehicle is it on?

3. tfapps

tfapps Junior Member
    from CT

Its on a chevy colorado, 3 port module, and everything else with the plow works fine. Its just the headlights. Its not the lamps, I tried replacing one.

Should the truck lights turn off when the plow lights come on?

Thanks for the help

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

With the isolation module there is a loop back wire in the headlight plug that activates the system. As soon as you plug in the headlight plug at the grill the controller should light up (backlight), the truck headlights should go out and the plow headlights should turn on. If your plow is working then that loopback wire is connecting. Sounds to me like you may have a broken ground between the headlamps and the battery. Probably on the plow headlight harness. Do your park lights and signals work on the plow? I ask because the headlamps and the marker / signals use the same groun d path. I suggest you open one headlamp assembly and test for power using a test lamp that is grounded to the truck somewhere. If therer is Pos. power there then use a jumper wire to make a ground from the headlamp common ground wire to the vehicle. If that brings the lights to life then you need to open up the harness and trace down the broken wire. I expect it will be black with an orange tracer and the fault will be between the headlights and the grill plug. It can't be on the vehicle side because that loop back, activator wire uses the same ground as the lights, but that is working so it has to be forward of the grill plug.

Let us know about the park and signals on the plow, do they work? If they do the problem is elswere.

5. tfapps

tfapps Junior Member
    from CT

I never hooked up the the parking lamps so I'm not sure if they work but I'll give what you said a shot and let you know how I make out. Thanks again for the help.