1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Suburbante on Jeep Cherokee XJ

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Hubjeep, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Howdy all,
    after deciding a dedicated plow vehicle that sat 9 mos rusting was too much for 3-4 driveways I came up with a solution. Picked up a 1999 Cherokee which serves as my DD (daily driver), and found this 6' 8" Western Suburbanite plow used for $800, off of a Jeep Wrangler TJ.

I had to modify the Wrangler mount to bolt up to the Cherokee, but worked out well. I included the Sway bar mounts (see tabs welded 90* to the upright pieces), 3 steering box bolts, 3 bumper bolts on each side, and 5/8" sleeved hole in the "frame".

The plow is nice and light, Cherokee suspension compresses only half way to the bump stops.

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Paint drying:
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Very cool. I always wanted to do that to my XJ but never got around to it
  4. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Isn't a 99 jeep a unibody? If it is what di you do to modify the frame?
    I have a Grand Cherokee ( 96 ) that I would like to put aplow on for Driveways.:D
  5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

1984-2001 Cherokee's (XJ) are uni-body's. Western, Meyer, and Fisher all make plow mounts for the XJ. Here is Western's, I basically copied that and added support from the sway-bar. The flat plates I welded to the Wrangler mount distribute the weight/torque to existing threaded holes in the frame (15 bolts in total where the factory Western one only uses 8) http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13319_010187.pdf

No major plow maker produced mounts for the 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee (ZJ), but anything can be made.

BTW, the Suburbanite has mounts available for the newest Grand Cherokee and Liberty, but no Cherokee, which is why I fabbed the mount instead of buying a vehicle-specific one.

Why are these so expensive new? :eek:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks great and hope it works well for you this winter
  7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

You got a great deal on that plow.
  8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Thanks everyone. :nod:

Added this today:

9. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

How do you think those rubber springs are going to work at -20F? Never seen that before.
  10. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Good question. :redbounce First time I have seen it too. And why are there two on one side?
  11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

They have been out for about 5 years now and I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them breaking or anything.
  12. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Good to hear, thanks. :cool:
  13. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Isnt that the same as a fisher homesteader except that the blade is full trip?
  14. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

It is exactly the same as the Fisher Homesteader, even has the same part numbers. Fisher and Western are both owned by Douglas Dynamics, makes sense they re-badge something like this.
  15. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Hey you did a great job on that. Don't those plows sell for around $3800?? Looks brand new for $800. Sounds like you did pretty good on the deal.
  16. Stik208

Same thing except red and different stickers.
  17. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I couldn't believe how expensive they are advertised for new. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/West...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a52f1a7e9 IIRC someone got a new one here for $2,600.

It does look nearly brand new, previous owner said it was barely used, then he sold Jeep and kept plow, sat for couple years in his garage, I only had to replace the seal kit in one of the angle pistons for $10 and changed the fluid. :nod:

And color! ;)
  18. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

and western's have a full moldboard trip, fisher's have the trip edge
  19. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Nice fab job there Hub! Welcome to PS! Have a good winter!

Correct, with the exception of the Homesteader/Suburbanite. They are identical except for the color and stickers.
  20. Stik208

This is what I said 3 posts north.