1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Suburbanite plow on new SUV

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RobotDr, Sep 6, 2003.

1. RobotDr

RobotDr Junior Member

Does anyone know the deal with the new Western Suburbanite snowplow? Western designed this thing for late model SUVs, like the 2003 Trailblazer or Jeep Liberty I'm interested in. I would love to have answers to the following questions:

1) How does the installation of this plow really effect the warranty of a new vehicle? Do you lose some or all of it? It does not seem to make sense that Western would go to the trouble of designing a new plow for a market they were sure would not buy their product because it screws up the vehicle warranty.

2) Has anyone installed a Suburbanite on their vehicle? Is it rugged enough to handle the heavy lake effect snow I get in my driveway? Even us folks living in the "suburbs" get the heavy wet stuff once in a while.

Any additional info anyone has on this product as related to a Chevy Trailblazer or Jeep Liberty would be "greatly" appreciated.

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

RobotDr, Please open up your PM option and send me an PM. I'll be happy to chat with you on warranty and plows for your application. Jerre

p.s. See you've posted before but welcome to Plowsite.

3. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

4. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Also need to remember that most of the s-10 and ranger truck frames span many years and once the warranty is up some may then be interested. if somebody owns a 1998 ranger that means he is no longer under warranty now he can have a plow if he wants. In most cases if the problems is not related to the snowplow being on the truck then the warranty is honored.

5. FORDNUT

FORDNUT Junior Member

suburbanite/homesteader

Simmons is correct on warranty. Over 3/36 you can do whatever.
    One thing that was not stressed, PLOW WITH THE STORM!
    Take small bites. Even the guys with bigger plows, You are not in a cat loader. Good luck these are great little products.

6. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I just got a Western plow on my truck and one of my subs. was pricing a western suburbanite for his ranger truck and the dealer swears by western and said he would rather sell him a snoway for his truck. He is not impressed with the suburbanite. This from a Western dealer. My sub is going to have them put the snoway on next week.

Ray

7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Western Suburbanite Plow

I have to say that the Western Suburbanite is a great little snowplow.
    This plow was designed around the smaller SUV and light duty trucks to deal with the lower front axle ratings..
    The Suburbanite was primarily designed for homeowner and the small business owner who wants, or has to clear their own lot or drives.
    Although they did receive usage by some commercial plowers during testing with very good results.
    One of the nice features is that it doesn't have a lift chain and has a power locking cylinder to lift and lower the plow and also gives the plow some down pressure.
    But again remember what this plow was originally designed for.

:rolleyes: John.......

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

PJ uses one of the homesteaders and has good success with them, but @ $2500+ I think I'll go lexan snoway on the durango and have something that is a little more heavy duty

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I agree with Nate,I'd take a Snoway over a SUV plow,it will hold up better.It will also scrape better,as you can use the downpressure.Any small truck,with a light blade will not scrape as well,as the blades are so light,the downpressure takes care of that problem.

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had a Sno Way installed yesterday at a dealer that does both Westerns and Sno Ways. While I was waiting, I looked at a Western Sub that was installed on a newer Blazer. The plow was yellow and looked like metal , but when I got close and felt it, it was just heavy duty plastic; I don't think it was even the same material that Snow Way uses, as the Western "plastic" could be pressed at the edges with just my fingers.

It also had warning labels on it that said that it was strictly for homeowner use (or something like that). It appears that it would work -beats shoveling I'm sure.