1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Suburbanite for the New 2007 FJ Cruiser

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jrunner01, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

For all those interested in a light duty plow for their new FJ Cruiser, please voice your concern to Western Plow at info@Westernplows.com. I have contacted them via email and have gotten a response that currently they are not going to provide an application for that vehicle, unless more of us show interest. Well I got the ball rolling, now help keep it up so we can maybe change their minds.

Western's response: 'Thank you very much for your valued comments and you can be assured that they will be forwarded to our marketing department. We have not had a considerable amount of interest from consumers for a plow for this particular truck. I am glad that you took the time to voice your opinion and perhaps it may make a difference.'

Thanks in advance...
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Check out Blizzard, they should have something that will work.
  3. jrunner01

jrunner01 Member

Thanks for the tip, but they dont have an application either for the FJ. Also, their light duty plows are still steel blades and thus are heavier than the Suburbanites which are poly. Besides I have just recently purchased the Suburbanite setup for my 96 taco and would be looking to easily transition to the FJ with hopefully just a new truck mount. Therefore hoping Western changes their minds.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

isn't the fj built on the 4runner platform? If so you might be able to get something that fits the 4runner and modify it....
    Also most poly plows are heavier then their steel counterparts...just and fyi...
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway's 22 series is probably the best fit for for application. They are not offering one at this point. They do offer 4 runners, tacomas and tundra so it might be coming.
    It could be no one will offer a plow set up The problem can be installation of a plow creates excess front axle weight. You can not install a plow if the installation changes the weight distribution creating a front axle weight % of greater then 62% of the gross vehicle weight. Some vehicles are not suitable for plow installation. the grand Cherokee is an example. You can put a plow on a Liberty, a wrangler, a Cherokee, but not a grand Cherokee. Not that it's not possible, it's not legal. The same applies to the dodge power wagon reg.cab. The winch changes the weight distribution, Dodge will not warranty the vehicle if you put a plow on it, for legal reasons. The power wagon extend cab has a different weight distribution and can have a plow. The same law is why you can put a 7'6" on a durango, but only a 6'8" on a dakota. It's our elected officials satisfying their employers, the insurance company's and the lawyers and the etc, surly not you and I.
    There also has to be some kind of atachment points suitable for attaching the plow.
    If nothing else I'm sure the toy makers, great bear or snowsport will offer something.

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

Hi Basher,

Curious Bout The Interesting Data You Posted. Can You Tell Me What Law Regulates The Applications? Federal, State, Or Something Else? What Year Durango Vs Dakota? What Plows?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fvmssa, Federal vehicle manufacturers safety standards act of 1994 and it's predecessors. The same regulations that pushed the plow manufacturers into the systems (uni-mount, EZ mount, etc.) we have today. The government test everything in the default mode, this is why you have to turn your overdrive off. The fuel mileage tester, starts the car and test in the start up mode, they would not turn the OD on if it did not come on when the car was started. They would not take the standard practice of adding ballast in to consideration, because the vehicle could be operated with out it (ballast)

The legality issue only effects manufacturer's and for liability reasons the retail (or wholesale) installer, whom is supposedly a professional and there for held to a higher standard. The private individual can get away with a lot more. The misapplication of proper weights in the event of a accident, could be deemed to have exasperated the severity of the incident, there by increasing the level of damage and injury, opening the plow manufacturer and the retail installer to inclusion in the any legal action that might take place. Not heeding the makers guidelines and installing to large a plow would in essence leave the installer alone in the liability arena.
    Snoway has created 3 series of plows and mounts, they do not interchange.
    By doing this they hope to remove themselves from this issue. For example the 22 series plow mount will not accept a 26, 29, 32, or 28V series plow, nor will a 22 series plow mount to a vehicle equipped with a 26 series mount. This is in a effort to keep people for doing a "Big Nate" and mounting a 8 foot plow on a durango, and snoway finding themselves included in a law suit as a enabler. Obviously they only make a mount for the proper series plow for the vehicles load capacities.
    So you're not going to get ticketed for to large or heavy a plow. The issue will arise if there is a accident. Some lawyer will decide that the plow was instrumental in the cause or severity of the injuries or damage. They will list every and anyone involved in the chain of events, the plow manufacturer, installer, seller, along with the owner of the vehicle and the driver on the lawsuit. They basically look for anyone with insurance or possible deep pockets to pick money from.
    Hopefully this answers your question, if you have a personal concern PM me if you'd like, if not see you on the site.
  8. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

"This is in a effort to keep people for doing a "Big Nate" and mounting a 8 foot plow on a durango"

That's Classic! Well stated!