1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western straight blade wont turn from time to time

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Team_Arctic, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I have a 9' ultra pro. works fine... Most of the time. From time to time it wont turn... It is like something is blocking the line. It gives a try shakes the blade some but locks up and wont rotate. Leave it sit for a few minutes and it will work sometimes or if you press a corner against something solid and push ( with pushing button on controler) and it will turn. sticky valve ?
  2. devypower

devypower Junior Member

i had one of my plow's do that last season and i took the turn cylinders off and pulled them apart and the bottom of one of the rams was shattered and the pieces were jamming up in it replaced it and flushed the system and never had an issue
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Sounds like contaminated fluid to me, sporadically playing havoc with your valves.

I would start by pulling your valve cover and make sure that the connectors are all tight on the spade terminals.

Then I would clean, inspect and grease your grill connectors (pay attention to the wires going into the back of the connectors as well).

If you have a handheld controller, disconnect it, and take it apart, make sure the cord is plugged into the PCB snuggly, and that there is no signs damage to the board. Put it back together, and make sure it connects snuggly to the control harness under the dash.

Then flush the system. Pull your valves and clean them prior to re filling your system. Make sure to blast your bores out with brake cleaner, change the filter, pickup tube, and gasket. Use an old tooth brush or what not to clean any gunk off the valves themselves. Take a pointy object (I like to use a probe, or electrical tester), and push in on the end of the valves, then release, they should travel freely in and out. If not, re clean, and or replace.

Obviously, you could roll the dice, and let it go, but this is one of those things that quikly progresses, and becomes problematic...and usually at the worst opportune time.
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012