1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western straight blade upgraded to western v blade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by premium lawns, Oct 25, 2011.

1. premium lawns

premium lawns Junior Member

Hey guys just bought a western unimiunt v blade, I currently have a western unimount straight on it, just curious if i have to get all new wiring or if I only have to switch out the controller harness on the truck side?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Do you still have relays or an isolation module? If it's iso module then you need a controller and the control cable. If you have relays its a bit more of a pain because the control wire goes to the headlight relays. There is also the issue of two or three plugs. If you have two plugs your headlight wires and the control wires are combined into one plug. Many straight blades have two wires but I don't think V blades came with two as there are too many control wires. Never the less you have to be sure you order the correct cable. You could also consider upgrading to the isolation module system. Since you are vertually rewiring the truck side. It would be a bit more money but they are much simpler and more reliable not to mention esier to troubleshoot.
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It would only be a three plug isolation module system if someone has previously converted it... Unimounts were all two plug. With either set up, the control harness is all that needs to be changed. As was stated, upgrading to the three plug iso module system is a nice upgrade, but not required.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it is in deed the two plug (not already upgraded) you would need to rewire the plow if you want to go to iso module so it's going to be more money. You would need to get two cables for the plow: a new headlight harness and a seperate control harness. Not difficult to install, just more money. The simplest would be to just keep the relays and get the one control harness.
  5. premium lawns

premium lawns Junior Member

Its all relay wiring right now for the straight blade, the v blade I bought also came with the relay wiring. I have a iso module on my other truck and they are very nice to work with. Thanks for the help guys, we will see how the install goes, and I will keep you guys updated.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011