1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Straight Blade not working period

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Delo91, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

Hey guys, new to the forum here! I'm having problems with my Western 8' Pro Series Ultra Mount snow blade. Here is the story:

I bought it a few days ago from a gentlemen that only used it a few times for plowing out his personal lot. It was used for three years and has been sitting for another 2-3 years now. I got it home, hooked up the mounts to my truck (Which my truck is a 2005 F-150, and the plow/wiring came off a 2007 F150) Everything was fairly simple as far as wiring goes and I downloaded a wiring diagram to double check over everything and make sure it was proper. Now that everything is hooked up, the plow won't do anything. The hand remote won't turn on, the headlights still light up on the truck (not the plow) and it just seems like nothing is getting power. I jumped the solenoid and I can hear the motor run and the plow tries to move but that's all I get.

Could it be a bad module and I got f**ked?

Does the wire for the remote have to be hooked up to an ignition source? Because the wire I had was long enough to reach the battery and I just hooked it up there for testing purposes. I checked all the connectors over and made sure they're tight but still get nothing.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Although I do have mechanical knowledge, i've never owned or hooked up a plow so keep that in mind lol

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes remote needs to be powered

3. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

I have the wire going directly to the positive terminal of the battery so it has a constant power source. Still nothing

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Light come on on controller?

Most times its the lack of grounding what causes most problems.

5. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

No, the light doesn't come on

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

NO plow lights either including turns?

7. dieselss

You have a good main gnd correct?
    The plow is hooked up.correct?
    You cked all the plow fuses correct?

8. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

There was two ground wires that I directly hooked to the battery terminal. I'm going to clean them all off and hook them back up. Maybe that might help? I've checked the fuses and they're both good. Plow is mounted to the truck. And there's no headlights or turn signals

9. dieselss

No.turn signals,, yea you missed something. There should be 4 fuses fyi.
    There's also power off the small terminal of the plow solenoid

10. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

Haha yeah I'm going to start with cleaning the grounds and see what happens. I only found two fuses that were coming off close to the module, and another plug that had a looped wire

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Where the control harness goes to the motor relay (aka solenoid for Plowsite members ;)) there's a red/green wire that needs to go to the large terminal on the relay which is constant hot (the side that's connected to the battery). If you've got it on the wrong terminal, you'll have nothing.

12. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

The red/green wire is connected to the hot side of the solenoid. Just cleaned off every terminal and connector with a sanding disk and still absolutely nothing.

13. dieselss

Is it a 3 plug at the grill. And how many at the Iso? What wiring diagram you using

14. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

It's a 3 plug at the grille, and a 4 plug ISO. I've busted out the test light and have no power to the headlight plug at the grille, so after a bit of research I've started testing my grounds. The crossover ground right up by the ISO is working, tested the positive fuses and they're both working. There's a crossover wire as well beside the fuses and that ground is working. Wires are both grounded and flowing at the solenoid. any other suggestions?

I really appreciate everyone's help thus far!

15. dieselss

Is the proper plug plugged in at the Iso?

16. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

Plug 1: has two fuses near the ISO, and eventually splits off into three
    Plug 2: runs directly to the grille of the truck and plugs into the plow
    Plug 3: right headlight adapter
    Plug 4: left headlight adapter

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

It is called a marshmallow. Thumbs Up

Also make sure the black/orange is connected at both ends. Should have a single pin weather pack connector near battery and on at module.

18. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Go to the Western website and follow the diagnostic info. I ran into a similar problem and found I had the wires to the solenoid hooked up wrong.

19. Delo91

Delo91 Junior Member

It's connected at the ISO with a connector and again near the battery which is together with shrink wrap if I remember correctly lol

20. dieselss

This wiring diagram is what your using?

Screenshot_2014-10-15-18-30-17.jpg

Screenshot_2014-10-15-18-30-27.jpg