1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western stops liftinh under load??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by turbokh, Dec 23, 2012.

1. turbokh

turbokh Junior Member
    from elma ny

I have an old cable-style western lift pump. went throiugh it in the fall.. clean filter, emptied all the fluid and replaced with new western oil. Everything worked. I attached the plow for the first time yesterday (35 degrees, 5 inches of snow) and the ram went up quickly until it just started to lift the plow.. I saw the hood of the truck dip a little, then I heard clicks. I tried revving the engine to around 1500 rpm and lift again. It went only as far as the first time, then killed the truck engine. Too much draw on the pump motor? How do i test this? I re-checked all the connections already. Help?

2. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Did you bleed air out of system?
  3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Check the fluid level again. If it's full, pull the two bolts out of the top of the motor and take the end off the motor. Make sure the brushes aren't fried. The solenoid could also be shorted out if it's killing the engine. It's a really simple electrical set up, good luck.
  4. turbokh

turbokh Junior Member
    from elma ny

I picked the plow up when I moved it around in the fall. It worked fine then, up, down, turns.. I'm assuming no air.

I read the motor should daw 180-200 amps.. how do I test it with my multi meter? I'll check the brushes.. though $80 for a new motor sounds good to me. but...

Just got a new solenoid (again) this morning. will try it. the current part has 15 minutes use.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well you need an amp meter to ck the draw. Now a lot can happen with the system in a short time you never said how it angles?? Are you 100% that your cables are adjusted correctly?? I'm thinking cable issue
  6. turbokh

turbokh Junior Member
    from elma ny

It all worked fine in the Faall, then sat in my heated shop til the other day.

Here's the answer: the negative cable, going from the lift motor to the frame of the truck, must have deteriorated internally.. I bypassed it with another cable and all works okay. I replaced the cable. After I removed the cable from the tuck, it sagged... no longer stiff like a good battery cable would be. I never experienced that bafore. I wonder where this cable was manufactuired.. I have my suspicions. It's only a year old!

thanks to everyone for their input. Always helpful here.

Merry Christmas!