1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Standard 6.5 Questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bazjeepers, Feb 9, 2015.

1. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Hi all,

Just got a Western Standard 6.5 installed last week and was wondering if this is a good plow or not? I see it is listed as about the same as a Midweight and just as heavy it seems but is it better than the newer Western models like the HTS or Midweight? I couldn't find much online about the Western Standard but from what I gather, it's a older model at 2-3 years older than some of the current offerings for my Durango.

IMG_20150209_094543.jpg

IMG_20150209_094529.jpg

2. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Specs that I was able to gather online from my research. It is a beast at close to 560 lbs. 11 gauge blade but I can't seem to open my hood with the plow in place.

Western Plow Weights.PNG

Western Standard Plow.PNG

3. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

So let me get this straight....You bought a plow and THEN you plan on doing some research??? :laughing::laughing:

Nice job of parking it into a pile you clearly had nothing to do with making...:waving: Thumbs Up

At least you got an UltraMount2 with it.

(Subscribed)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Disclaimer: I did not push that pile of snow. I was just parked there since my Durango would not fit in a regular space at the office parking lot where I work. Also the parking lot was empty anyway so I figure I might as well park it out of the way so other people can manuever with ease.

I actually don't do snow plowing as a 9-5. I had to drive that to my regular 9-5 since my car was out of commission. I only parked there because I can't fit the SUV into an office park parking space sized for cars and SUV's without a snow plow attached. I could have detached it before I went to work but I was in a rush and figured I might as well get comfortable driving with the snow plow around.

However, I did do my research prior to purchase. I did the Western Quick Match and the Western dealer, Van Dine's, said they would install a Midweight or a HTS but put the Western Standard 6.5 on it after I got there. Should I have just walked away? Probably since I was not given the plow I actually wanted based on the Wester Quick Match but I needed the Durango back. Also for the price I paid for it ... including install ... I would prefer getting the latest model or otherwise, offer up a discount due to a last year or older model of snow plow that Western has discontinued that particular line.

I could not find any information on the Western Standard 6.5 since I got curious why I was given this snow plow instead of what Western recommends for my particular SUV.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  5. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

Well that's one way to get in the conversation, the other would have been to do your research of the guy that started the thread and see what else he has posted about recently. Possibly you might have seen he has been doing some homework on the matter at hand. We are suppossed to be building one another up not tearing each other down. We are after all here for the same reasons SNOW !, Proper education and advice.

Baz go back and question the dealer as to why they switched the plow on you. I'll take a pic of my pile I got plowed up with my Durango. That in front of him is definately doable trust me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

Angle does not do the pile justice I assure you it's higher then the roof of the D.and it's like that for about fifteen feet back.

[​IMG]

7. Doughboy12

That is a nice pile... I used to make those with my 4-wheeler too so I believe you.

8. Doughboy12

Clearly because the needed to unload it from their inventory...If you have paperwork proving your point I would 100% go back and demand what you asked for...what size/width plow did you request?
    Hows that for help?

9. Doughboy12

You must have missed the wave and the thumbs up...generally indicating approval. I know you can't hear tone on a forum...but I thought the emoticons were clear?

10. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have that plow in a older 7ft version lifted 2000 cherokee, uni mount. Plow has done 25-30 houses for past 3 years with no major issues. Cutting edge wears fairy fast but thats about it.

11. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

Clearly that is what they did. I missed the emoticons for sure. Your four wheeler must be an awesome one no doubt. I'm just making sure Baz gets help not sarcasm, as I feel obligated being a Durango plow vehicle owner myself and seeing first hand their potential to be a great snow mover.wesport It's all good , and let's return to our regularly scheduled PBS show o n Western plows. :laughing: lol

12. Doughboy12

...;) :D. It was worded poorly...after further review.

Polaris 700EFI. Glacier (sp) plow system and lots of practice. :waving:

You can only use 4 so I had to take one of yours out...lol

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  13. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Got to plow with it, it did pretty well with the snow from this past Sunday. I did lose the Durango for a week while the dealer covered a warranty repair for a bad top radiator hose and radiator cap that dried out.

So far so good.