1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Stainless Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Holland, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

A guy i work with is selling a tailgate spreader. Its an older Western unit with a stainless tub, variable speed, and new electric motor. Wants 200 for it. Are these a good unit? Do tailgate spreaders work good? Is this a good price? Sounds like a pretty good deal but i wanted a second opinion. Thanks!

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do you or could you get a picture of it?
    Model number?

I have never seen a a Western with a SS tub. I am assuming it is pretty old as well for that price. Without pictures or other details I would stay away from such a old unit.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Well against your reccomendation i bought it. Plans definately changed though. We made a deal at 100 as long as it all worked. Got there and dug it out of his shop and found the shield around the spreader wheel was basically gone, rusted away. Didnt have a new motor, had a new shaft between the motor and spreader wheel. Talked him down to 25 bucks. Worth a try for that type of money! Dealer says they can still get parts for it too! Going to fabricate a new shield and possibly add a bar to the back of it to act as a bit of a bumper.

A few pictures of it. Just got it to the shop and washed it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Looks to be in decent shape. Heck for $25 I would have probably got it just to resell after I got it working. If you use it twice it will pay for itself. Good luck

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep i ran too different spreaders like this one on a truck one on a tractor for sidwalks

honestly, it sticks...i hope you have better luck. all i can tell you.....DRY, DRY salt, only load 3-4 bags MAX. EMPTY the hopper fully at each job, never drive with it loaded. and weld a chain to the lower part of the shaft to help with the flow

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Ya it looks like flow could definately be an issue. Im just being a cheap a$$ for now and try to make this one work. In all honesty, i really dont need a spreader, then again ive never used one. might be kinda handy. Either way pretty inexpensive way to see if i it'll work for what i do. Also, how old do you think this is? Thanks for the advice!:drinkup:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

8. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

well lets be honest i cant even buy dinner for my family for 25 bucks

9. Clarkfarms

Clarkfarms Junior Member

I just bought a spreader like this a few weeks ago but it cost me $100. The motor worked when I bought it and all I had to do was weld a mount to it to slide into my hitch and wire up the variable speed with a switch. I finally got to try it this morning and it worked great. The only problem I see with it is that you need something to reach down to scrape out the last of the salt that doesn't come out on its own. Good luck with yours! payup