1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western springs question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bushtrimmer, Jan 7, 2005.

1. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer Junior Member

We just had a real bad sotrm for us. 8" of snow followed by 4" of ice. We used the plows til they spent more time sprung over to the ground than upright then had to switch to bobcats and loaders to finish up the removal. My question is how do you know when to replace the springs on the plows. Hate to wait til it snows again and find out the springs are bad. We use western pro plows for the most part. The new snow ways weren't have quite the problem as the westerns.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think with that much snow and ice any full trip plow would have gone over. This is one reason why I like the trip edge although it is probably harder on your tranny. If you think your springs are getting weak then turn them a little tighter. Unless they are really old plows I imagine they are fine.

3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I never replaced a spring until it cracked.Otherwise put tension on them. Angling more in conditions like that helps too. We had similar weather here too. It can be frustrating.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

5. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

Bush, I'am just south of you and know the storm your talking about...we run western as well and had the same problem but any plow would have.I don't think you have a spring problem unless they are old, if so replace them.As sated above full angle will help alot.

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We run 12 Western Pro Plows (old style conventional mount 7.5 and 8 foot with cable controls) and we go over each plow every three years with new cutting edges, couplers, hydraulic lines, shocks, and springs. We also replace the snow deflectors and pivot bolts and lift chain if it needs it and service the pump. To replace the three springs would be about $50 in parts and about 30 minutes in labor, just do it now and then you know it is done and you don't have to worry about it for a few years. We do 4 plows at the beginning of each snow season and alternate the 12 so that everything stays in good shape and at the most goes 3 years then gets re-serviced. I believe the conventional mount pro plow was discontinued in 1981, so they are all at least 25 years old and still earning us money!