1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Spreader ???????????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WALKERS, Nov 16, 2007.

1. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey can you hard wire a spreader the controller is bad. Can you hard wire a toggle and dial switch or am I just living a dream.:dizzy::jester:

2. Tediesel

Tediesel Member

On my backup I have a proflo 2 that I just used a 50 amp toggle on with no dial. I changed the pulley twice and found a speed I was happy with. I don't know if a standard issue dial can handle the load or not but if you try and it works let me know what you did.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is it possible to wire the switch through a solenoid so you don't need such a heavy switch? Just have the switch trip the solenoid.

4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

you can use an old ford solenoid( the kind that grounds out to be turned on when the switch is flicked).it will only have one speed but you can turn it on and off and slow down the spinner to a degree.just run a heavy enough cable from the solenoid to the spreader for your positive and ground the spreader real good.
    you can use a positive activated solenoid but then you have to send power to the switch to turn on the solenoid,so it is easier just to get a negative ground activated solenoid.
    hope this helps snowdog