1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SLS 1, Jan 9, 2002.

1. SLS 1

SLS 1 Junior Member

Hi, I have questions on a western stainless steel tailgate spreader. It looks like it might hold 600 lbs. I do not know how old it is but it is in fairly decent shape. I was looking to put it on my second truck. I already have a smith spreader for my dump. I want more flexibility. The seller wants $350 for it with no controller. He hooked it up to a battery and it worked. Do you think that is a good price?

Also, will a regular switch or a home dimmer switch work? It is a gravity feed with no auger and a gate you have to slide so will bulk salt with fines work? How is the spread pattern with the little stainless spinner? Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks Joe

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Last edited: Jan 9, 2002
  3. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

In my opinion, they stink, its use to be the #1 trade in when they were popular,and just take a look at the $ on a replacement motor and u will fall over! Good luck PT.
  4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I do have the stainless steel unit you refer to. Mine holds approx. #400. I got it for a really good price but if it ever goes down I'll most likely move up to a newer model like a Byers. Had I been to this site before I bought this unit I would have seen the benefit of the newer 2 stage salters. I think the 2 stage is the way to go.
    I do have to say that for two years so far no problems with this one other than it tends to bridge and it has a manual salt gate to shut off when you travel.