1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Spreader Wiring

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gardnerll, Oct 28, 2014.

1. gardnerll

gardnerll Junior Member

So I picked up a decent swing away Western 2000 Salter the other day and I am having a hard time tracking down the truck side wiring for it. Is it worth chasing down, its about $250 with shipping at the one place I found it but they dont have it in stock and have to get it from western which I cannot do because I am not a dealer. Is this something I should just wire myself and if so any ideas where I can get the wiring such as the 10ga power supply running form the battery. Also I should mention that I have the variable speed controller that I will be hooking up to it.

I have looked at my local hardware stores but nobody seems to carry the auto wiring (10ga) or the connections that I will need if I do it myself.

Any input would be great.
    Thanks

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Jkopp@douglasdynamics.com Jeff Kopp has helped me out of a jamb. I don't know whether he is still there or not or if this contact is even any good anymore. 414-362-3832

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

10g wire should be easy to come by. But most auto stores don't carry it. If your wanting to go that route I can point you in the right direction

4. gardnerll

gardnerll Junior Member

my truck actually has a lift gate on the back so I used the two wires running to that for the power wires on the spreader. I cant figure out how to wire the speed portion of the controller but I was able to get the spreader to turn on and off which was my goal.
    I did get a place that sold the wire harness specific to the spreader it was $250 with shipping. Doing it myself cost about $30 but my connections are just butt connectors with electric grease and lots of electric tape. Ill let you know how that works one of these early mornings :) I should be ok I tucked them away under the truck and I think I sealed them appropriately. But I do wish I had the trusty harnesses for connectors.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So you have no speed control? Just on and off

6. gardnerll

gardnerll Junior Member

That's correct no speed control just on/off toggle. I think I will be alright this season with this setup my accounts are apartment complexes and commercial lots. Full blast salting will be ok I will have to drive quickly in a few spots though...

I just wanted to get it put together for the first event with this weekends weather I wanted to be prepared here in Upstate NY.

7. gardnerll

gardnerll Junior Member

Just an update: The salter is working great no problems there I should have never worried about a speed control I don't need it for any of the accounts I have. Full blast and a foot like a surgeons hands on the gas peddle works fine :)

The only problem I did have is bagged salt flows through great, bulk salt....not so much so I did order a vibrator for the salter should solve the issue.