1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Spreader Fuse- HELP

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WinnEnterprises, Jan 28, 2007.

1. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

2 Questions about a Western Low Profile Spreader
    1. The wiring harness has an inline fuse that goes from inside the cab (which connects to the variable speed box) and connects either inside or outside the cab to an ignition source (a fuse socket controlled by the vehicles ignition switch). My question is where can I get a replacement fuse for that inline fuse, which is rated at 6amps. The fuse is a glass type but not of an automotive size or amperage.
    2. Is there somewhere that sells ATC or ATM fuses in 6 amps to replace (the poor design) of the current inline fuse with an inline fuse socket box (which would be water tight), or how much damage would occur if I swapped the 6 amp out for a 7.5 amp fuse (which is available in Glass, ATC, and ATM) with the socket box.

...I hope that makes sense...

2. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

... officially no one knows, including the Knapheide parts department...

3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

4. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

nope, but thanks Low. I need a 6amp and everything else goes: 3 amp, 4 amp, 5 amp, and 7.5 amp. That is why I also asked if anyone knows whether going to a 7.5 amp fuse would be harmful later...

5. cut it out and put a ato style fuseholder in !!!!

6. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

that would be fine except I can't find a 6 AMP ATO style fuse... do you know whether replacing the OEM 6 AMP with a 7.5 AMP would cause any damage?

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I think it'll be alright. I've ran a little larger fuses in things plenty of times. If you are a little leary, then go the other route and run a smaller one. Also, a little helpful hint, before you start the spreader, step to the back and turn the spinner a bit. This frees it up if it is sticky. On my tailgate, I do that just out of habit, now.