1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western speed

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by s. donato, Jan 19, 2011.

1. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

Hey western guys is there anyway to speed up the pumps?

i have a handheld controller and like its accuracy but it seems slow. i am pretty sure its not the plow b/c a buddy of mine has a hand held controller too and his is about the same speed.

i thought i heard there is an adjustment screw for speed of the pumps? :mechanic:

i tried searching around but couldn't find anything.

i did figure out on westerns site there is a drop speed adjustment. but i doubt it does anything for the raising or angling speed
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Not too much to do with "speed"....

What type of plow?
    Most of the units have a normal lift time of 2 seconds and a full angle side to side of 4 seconds.
    You can control the drop speed with the quill adjustment
    Of pressure test the unit to make sure the pump is putting out the correct pressure.

Pressure test and quill adjustments are on western's website in service section.
  3. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

timing sounds about right. i guess. just was hoping i guess.

i have about a 3 second raise with about 4 seconds to do a full side to side switch.

i will adjust the drop speed and i think that will help for now.:mechanic:

thanks for the info.:salute:
  4. SnowMatt13

The best thing to do would be to check the pump pressure.
    It takes more "effort" to pick up the plow than it does to turn it side to side.
    Your pump should be 1750 PSI, if I'm not mistaking.

There is an adjustment on the top of the pump (you will have to remove the motor)
    1/4 turn will increase your pump pressure +/- 250 PSI.
    If it cannot be adjusted you may want to think of replacing or just dealing with what it is doing now and keep in mind it is on it's way out.
  5. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

great info matt.

mine is brand new so i will take it to the dealer next chance i can.

i wonder if they are breaking in or something... for now i will just adjust the quill and live with it till i can get there and have them pressure test it.
  6. SnowMatt13

They will definately have the tools to test it....