1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Solonoid Isarmatic System Stuck at Right Angle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mxz700doo, Feb 7, 2004.

1. mxz700doo

mxz700doo Junior Member
    from NY

Yesterday plow got stuck all the way to far right and would do nothing. I checked fluid and it was low and filter was clogged. I flushed system and cleaned filter and refilled with Western Hydraulic Oil. Filter was clogged with black NONMETALLIC material. Not sure what it was. It worked for my 10 minute test run.

Used it today again for 30 minutes, then got stuck at far right again. Will not lower or anything. It only wants to go to the right when I try to move it. It cannot be muscled back into positions either. I checked fluid, it is at full level. Filter is not clogged. When I was plowing, I noticed if I hit a hard snowbank that it would "GIVE OUT". Never noticed that before until yesterday and today. No signs of leakage of fluid and no loose electrical connections. Jeep has Brand New Battery.

I did a search here already to get some ideas. Would do you all know.

Can you help me isolate the problem that way I can fix it?

Your expertise would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks.

2. djg0770

djg0770 Junior Member

When was the last time you replaced your hoses? How about your O rings?

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sounds to me like debris stuck in one of the cartridges or valves. If the black stuff you found was like rubber o-ring or hose material or seals then maybe a cylinder ram is scored or the angle cylinders are overextending. Check for excess play at the a-frame/quadrant pivot point. If the rams overextend because of this, it tears up parts inside and it will go through the system till it stops in the very tiny holes in valves and cartridges. If you pull a cartridge out and look at it you might be able to see somethoing stuck in one of the holes. If you decide to take this on yourself, keep everything very clean. If you find debris in there then you need to find out where its coming from obviously and fix that and flush everything out.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Trouble shooting? It is best to have a system to isolate problems.
    Start with the simple basic no cost items and work back.
    Ex. check fluid. Pressure to each hose when activated.
    Power to pump? Power to solenoid? Power to pump and coil?
    One thing at a time and narrow it down and then maybe somebody can help you.

5. mxz700doo

mxz700doo Junior Member
    from NY

I have taken it all apart and found an o ring missing!!!

That was the black debris. Makes sense. Now I will have to get that replaced and flush the system and refill it.

Also, I unscrewed the crossover relief valve(cushion valve). The ball came out freely, but the SPRING AND SEAT ARE STUCK in the back of the hole. Shouldn't they come out also????? Found a small piece of what was probably an o-ring in there too.

I still need to run a test on the cartridge valves(S1, S2, S3 valves) that make the plow go up, down, left and right. Hopefully they work properly.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on what I should do or look for while it is all apart.

Also, what does the crossover relief valve do exactly??

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I believe thats to allow your plow to angle if you hit something too hard or immovable.
    Look at those cartridges before you fill and run it again. A piece could be stuck in a hole keeping the inner spool from sliding back and forth in the outer, which controls the oil flow. Those are probably the smallest places the oil has to flow, and the most likely for pieces to get stuck in. If you know which is the right angle one, try checking it first. Finding only o-ring material you can probably clean them, but if you find metal they might continue to hang up from being scored.
    Your on the right track. Ain't repairs fun:rolleyes:

7. mxz700doo

mxz700doo Junior Member
    from NY

ok got the spring and seat out of the croosover relief valve holes.

Pulled out some debris(o-ring)

Now going to test solenoids and cartridge valves to see if they work.

O-ring missing so that needs to be replaced

cleaning with carb cleaner

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

sounds like a complete tear down is in order. Is it possible there was something in the hydo oil like alcohol. Is sounding like something is attacking the seals and o rings. But of course it is going to be impossible to tell you that from here. If i was you id pull the pump, put it on the bench and give a real good once over. It may save you a bunch of grief at a later date. Just my 2 cents...Rob

9. mxz700doo

mxz700doo Junior Member
    from NY

Here is where I am at....

I pulled the whole valve manifold assembly apart. Found several large pieces of debris. Looks like many o-rings in poor condition. A couple were torn and one previously mentioned o ring that connects valve manifold to pump housing assembly was missing. (Prolly much of the debris found on the filter and in the valve manifold) Valve cartridges were immaculate though. They worked exactly as they should and the solonoids tested perfectly as well. Cleaned her up and she is immaculate now. i have to order some new o-rings and springs to put it back together and make it like new.

Going to flush the pump housing and ram cylinders out and hoses out.

When new parts come in I will put her back together and hopefully all will work well.

PS Thanks for the tips and ideas. You really helped me, especially streetsurfin .

10. Don Rauch

Don Rauch Junior Member

stuck right

i bought new western plow same problem check all grounds even under cover box where all soleniods without good grounds my went right good luck

11. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

If the pump runs but nothing happens, that means a valve is stuck and there is probably no power getting to the solenoid that opens the valve. Check all the connections and check over your wiring harness and make sure you don't have shorts. But like have many said so far in this thread, you outta rebuild your unit.

12. mxz700doo

mxz700doo Junior Member
    from NY

all wiring tests good and power is where it needs to be.

Ordering parts tomorrow and will rebuild when parts come.