1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Snowplows; Becoming a Sub Dealer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSSMAN21, Nov 28, 2011.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Hey guys, I have done hours of searching plows, searching brands, and reading reviews. I have seen Boss plows in action, Fisher plows in action, along with Blizzards, sno-way's, and SnoDoggs. I went to Milwaukee, WIsconsin, and this was the first time I ever saw a Western plow in action. I was impressed by not only the quality of worksmanship that is put into a Western Snow Plow, I was impressed by the durability and the features that the new Western's have. Every thing from the "roll-on" hitches, and the Ultramount quick hitch, to the Power Bar, I thought that it was an awesome design, far more distinct and simple than my Boss OR my Fisher, BTW both of those plows I love. Western really seems to have found something with these new Night Hawk lights as well, they were far brighter than any other plow lights I have used. As funny as it sounds, from what i've seen, the western Ultramount is the easiest to mount on a truck, in the industry, and to be able to take the push plates off and put back on in a matter of seconds is unreal. The problem is, the closest western dealer is about four hours from my house. I would like to become a western sub dealer for them. Anyone know the ins and outs, and pros and cons for doing this? Is it worth it? Id love to see some western plows around here! Thumbs Up
  2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I am a sub dealer for Western and Fisher. I did it mainly because I have a full fleet of Western equipped trucks, and it is a huge advantage to us as far as stocking replacement parts, and purchasing them on the right deal. Having the stuff on hand at anytime of the day or night is worth it's weight in gold. As far as selling new units, I don't necessarily push it... We are a fairly high volume plowing company, and don't always have the time for sales/service during the winter months. We do provide service for some of our competitors that we work closely with in the snow business. During the fall, we do sell some complete packages, and between complete units and a full inventory of replacement parts, we do enough to maintain our sub dealer status. In my opinion, you don't get rich on a complete package with installation, buying at the sub dealer pricing. This may not necessarily apply in your market, as the retail pricing of plows varies greatly by region. We are in a very snowy metropolitan area, so there's a snowplow dealer on every other corner... ie: pricing beat right into the ground. I wheel and deal alot of decent used equipment in the fall months and, quite honestly, the profits are often better on used units depending on where you're sourcing them, and total time invested vs. complete assembly/installation of a new unit. Again, new parts inventory becomes an advantage in the used plow market as well. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.
  3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

It a lot of headache if your not organized....
    The warranty dept can be a pain...
    To top it all off western is changing part numbers on a lot of parts..
  4. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I had heard they were changing some of their parts numbers, why make things more complicated? LOL, its complicated enough. And thanks, I think that I will look into it, but if it is what some of you say, a head ache, then it might not be worth it!
  5. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

douglas dynamics need not say any thing more!!!!!!
  6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't say it wasn't worth it.
  7. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I just looked thru their site. Pretty impressive.
  8. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Thats what I thought when I saw them in action, I was amazed, I am not trying to promote for western or anything like that, I just am giving my honest opinion in saying, their products are awesome.
  9. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I have thought about this..how tough was it to get started, and how tough is it to order enough to keep western happy and things of that nature?