1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western snow plow joyce stick to hand held

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mattpiotrowski, Jan 6, 2010.

1. mattpiotrowski

mattpiotrowski Junior Member

I have a 2003 Chevy 2500 with a Western UniMount Snow plow Model No. 3515.
    I have a Joyce stick in it now and i bought a hand held controller, when i plug the hand held into my plow when i click up,left, or right the plow does not do anything and the controller shuts off, when the click down the plow goes down, I took my hand held controller and put hooked it up to about 3 other trucks with Western UniMount plows and it works great no problem. The guy at my local Western Dealer said he hook the hand held up to a machine and their is nothing wrong with it. Could somebody tell me what i have to do to get the NEW hand Held Controller to work???

Thanks Mr, Plow-
  2. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

I have seen this before if there is a lot of resistance in the electrical connections... coils... solenoid..plugs etc it will "time out" a hand held but a joystick will work fine.
    Check the solenoid first as the function that does work on your plow is not using the solenoid.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some of the Uni's require a ground wire modification on the control harness when upgrading to the hand held controllers to provide enough ground for them to work correctly. See here for info. Nothing difficult and only takes a few minutes.