1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Snow Plow Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by daautosales, Jan 4, 2014.

1. daautosales

daautosales Junior Member

I have a Western Unimount plow on a Chevy pickup. When I shut the truck off and the power to the plow off, the plow motor keeps on running and makes a whining noise until I unplug it from the black plug. When I plug it back in the motor comes back on. Last year I had problems with my truck battery draining when not in use now I'm wondering if this was related to that. Any suggestions on what to look at? After it sets for a while it works fine until I shut it back down again.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Either the solenoid is bad, or your sending signal to the solenoid to stay running test light the 2 small wires. One should be gnd and the other should be nothing till.you press up left or right

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

does the plow motor run constantly only when the truck is off, or also while the truck is running? I'd be surprised if it's only when the truck is shut down. you'd surely notice it when the truck is shut down, but may not hear the plow motor running when the truck is running also. a constantly running plow motor will prematurely wear down a battery as the alternator on the truck would not be able to keep up charge the battery adequately.

sounds like a bad solenoid to me.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Just disconnect one of the small wires from the motor relay (solenoid). If the motor stops you have a wiring problem. If not change the relay.