1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Shock Absorber

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Andy's Beast, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

2. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I'd use it
  3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Check your local auto part store. Any Brand name shock will work. They are also more likely to be cheaper than Northern Tool.
  4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Tried the auto part store and had no luck in Monroe or Gabriel. I would go with northern
  5. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

shock absorber unbdate

I bought the Buyers shock absorber and it seems to absorb shock quite well. At least it looks good! Now I have to blast the plow, paint, replace hardware and trip springs and I should be ok.
  6. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Yes Monroe originally made shocks for Western. We had an in depth discussion on this last winter. We tried crossing over to a different shock and someone even tried a Volvo truck cab shock which was supposed to work but didn't. the Western shock used to be $138.00 but I have seen them as cheap as $ 68.00 now. $60.00 for the Buyers shock is even cheaper and I'm sure it will work just as well.
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

8. Watkins

Watkins Member

The url indicates it covers this part for western and should be pretty versatile even if you just need to modify one of the tabs it mounts to which is only 15-20 mins of work too.

It states this

Fits Make
    Replaces Western # 60338

In the article and description.