1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western says no go?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by xtoyz, Feb 27, 2008.

1. xtoyz

xtoyz Junior Member

Any of you guys ever have a western dealer tell you they won't put a MVP on your truck? I actually had one laugh at me and tell me that my 2001 3500 couldn't support the weight.

What's the deal with that? I know the truck can handle, and I know others have done. How can they sit there and say thast a truck rated to do as much as mine is, isn't capable of having that plow? I understand the increased wear on the front and that it's a weakness with my truck, but come on?

2. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Find a different dealer. They hang MVP's on 3/4 tons around here all day long

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Is it safe to assume you have a Cummins?
    I would go back and talk to a different sales person. I think many of them look in the book and see that it isnt recommended so they just say no. Ask them if there is a mount and harness for your truck, then ask why they wont do it if Western offers it. I am sure if you look on Westerns web site it will tell you to hang a 7.5'er on it.
    IMO many of the sales persons are uneducated in snowplow applications. For the most part it is just a job that anyone can go get without any pervious experience with plowing.

Really the 3500 with the cummins isnt rated for that heavy of a plow. 1000+lbs hanging off the front is a ton of weight. According to the web site your truck can only "handle" a 8'6" Pro Plow. I think we all know it will take a MVP just fine though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i had a salesman tell me the same thing about my 97 F350 dump. reason being is it is 2wd. well i bought a 8.5 pro plow and it fit on perfect and works great.when it is raised it only drops the front about 1.5".

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Go back to salesman and laugh in his face. While chuckling point out that the truck is 7 years old and way out of warranty. Most of these plow places dont want issues with newer trucks losing waranties.

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 3/4 ton Cummins diesels both with 8'6" V-Plows on them no problems! It must just be your dealer being stupid, find a new sales person or dealer and you should have no problems!

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The issue is the GVWR of the front axle. With the Cummins the truck only has like an extra 800lbs before its over the front axles GVWR.

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I owned a 94 Dodge 3500 4x4 CTD and it came with the AHD(plow prep) Yet in 94 Dodge started saying no plows on CTD. They change there mind every other month. For a while you had to sign a disclaimer that you would only plow alone and not with 4 others in cab with you. Every year its a new issue with plows. Hell look at the people that put 8ft's on 1/2 tons and dont have issues. Get the plow mail order or go to another dealer. The truck is way out of warranty for the front end. Get set of Timbrens and when your front ends start to go replace tehm with Moogs

9. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Ditto....the CTD is the best diesel on Earth, Dodge needs to get on board and either start beefing up their front ends, or figuring out another way for hard working guys to utilize this great truck for snowplowing without possibly losing their warranty.

To be honest, there's a good chance my next truck will be a Dodge CTD, as long as I am made to feel comfortable putting a plow on it.

10. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have an 05 with CTD and just as I type this am warminig up from putting on theTimbrens. Not sure how I feel about the install. The stock stops had 4 indents in them to helpp hold in place, these Timbrens were smooth and a pain to install by yourself :help:. BUT it is done. With the plow mounted and raised, there is a 1-1/4" height difference from stock. FYI.

11. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

I think they did do somthing about it. On the new ones in chassis cab form, you can get heavy duty and super heavy duty front springs. I think heavy duty only on the regular truck version. Our dodge dealership has a 8 to 10 foot fisher XLS or whatever that 8110 rip off is on a 3500 with cummins. That thing weighs just as much

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have an 01 -2500, with the 360 motor , western sales guy told me that i could not put an 8.5 pro, ultra mount on , because i would be over the ft. axle weight.....I told him do it any way........he did, I took it to a local scale, and messed around reading the axle weight, while moving 50Lbs fert bags (it ws summer) in and out of the bed, I need to put 400lbs balast weight behind the rear tire, and im good -- 2 yrs ago i put a rear plow on that same truck, so balst isnt an issue any more...

and my 96 CTD,-2500 still kicks butt 135k, i think at this point every major part involving steering, suspention, trans, and wheel bearings and have been replaced one time, but still runs great....no problems with the motor , I know im always over the axle limits, because it has a v-box, which we fill heapping full, to about 4500lbs every time....some of that weight must get distributed toward the front axle, plus the plow

13. xtoyz

xtoyz Junior Member

Just saw this thread. Apparently my email notifications don't work. Anyways, we skipped putting it on the 2001 3500 and put it on the 1999 2500 instead. Both are cummins, but the 99 is my truck, and the 01 is my dads truck. No issues yet :crosses fingers:

Thanks for the comments, didn't mean to not answer you guys..