1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Salt Spreader Wire Connectors - Need Help Replacing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xjoedirt55x, Nov 10, 2013.

1. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Long story short, I bought a setup that came with a salt spreader, which was left plugged in. I went to disconnect the spreader from the truck and had a hard time doing so. Eventually it came loose, and the plug end attached to the salter pulled a metal piece out of the plug end on the truck. I haven't really messed with it beyond that as I am getting other equipment up and ready to go, but my question is can I purchase an identical plug end(s) somewhere besides directly through western, or does anybody have any suggestion for two good plug ends for me to install in place of the old ones?

Any help would be awesome.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. xjoedirt55x

Yes, just a tailgate spreader. I was hoping to eventually hook up some lighting, but how I am going to do that, I do not know just yet, I am more worried about getting it running right.

I like the connector, but don't see a place to order them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You can start here
    https://www.google.com/search?q=the...ors#q=anderson+electrical+connectors&tbm=shop

Or go to Amazon.com or eBay.com and type in Anederson connectors in the search.

My Western tailgate I had had a third yellow wire that ran in the harness for a light. A light is not to hard to wire up even if there is no wire in the harness loom.
    Get some good wire and a good switch , throw in a fuse and you're good to go.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  5. xjoedirt55x

Awesome! I appreciate the help. Any minimum power handling specs I should pay attention to?

Again, thanks for the help.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would get something at least for 50 amps. Not that , that is what it takes but it will better handle the 15 amps or so it takes to run it. Also lube up the connections with dielectric grease, before ,during and after the season. That will prevent any more problems like you had. :drinkup: