1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Salt Spreader Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by firefighter1406, Jan 1, 2012.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have a Western Pro Flo Spreader. I have a variable speed controller for it. But it only has to speeds. The controller has setting for 1-10, on 1 it is very slow but as soon as you hit 2 it is full speed. Do I have a bum controller or is the motor inside screwed up so it is the bad part. Any help would be great. I have another spreader like this that I have no problems with. So just need some input.

Thx

2. michdeere

michdeere Member

I'd say your controller is bad. I had the same problem a few years ago. New controller fixed it. Still running the same motor.

3. firefighter1406

That's kind of what I thought. Bought the spreader used and the guy said the controller worked. It does but not correctly. I have thought about taking it apart and just see if there is anything crazy wrong with it.

4. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

Just run down to your western dealer and see if you can use another controller to see if it fixes it. You can do it in the parking lot. That controller will run most of western tailgate spreaders. Be quicker than tearing it apart. If you have to buy a new one, keep that one in case the new one quits completely. Back-up anything whether it works properly or not is better than down and out. Just my opinion. If nothing else, you can bump the blast button to get you through.

5. firefighter1406

Very true. I was looking at a one on eBay that looks in great shape but its $200 bucks. Anybody know how much a new style controller is?

6. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I would still find a different one to make sure that's the problem before you spend anything. Not sure on cost.

7. firefighter1406

Thx X Force. I will swap the one out of my truck and see what that brings.

8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

try taking the controller apart and cleaning the speed control, its a potentiometer and sometimes they just need a good cleaning, you can buy the cleaning spray at radioshack and also while its disconnected from a power source check it with an ohm meter to see if the pot is working correctly.

9. firefighter1406

What it the proper way to ohm it out?

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

its easier to use a meter with a movement and watch the needle move up scale as you turn the knob. just connect the meter leads to the tabs on the pot, if you are using a digital meter watch as you turn the knob slowly and the numbers should increase. you will have to disconnect the wires from the pot so it doesn't give you a false reading. when cleaning the pot turn the knob back and forth quickly while spraying the cleaner inside the pot, the cleaner is non conductive and will evaporate.

11. firefighter1406

Are you just talking about like automotive electrical connector cleaner or something different?

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i use the cleaner radio shack carries, automotive contact cleaner might work but the stuff radio shack carries is specifically for cleaning electronic equipment.

13. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

14. firefighter1406

Thank you. I am hoping to get this fixed before the next snow.

15. firefighter1406

Another question about this spreader. I bought new bearing for the salter. They are 3/4 flange bearings I think. I went to replace them, got the old one off but the spot where the bearing goes is thicker then the 3/4. I use a caliper, the new bearing is .749 and the spot on the spreader shaft is .881. Am I missin something? I took the part numbers right off the spreader user guide. Is there a old style bearing I need? It is a western pro flo spreader.