1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Salt Spreader Control

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mopar250, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I just picked up a used 8 ft. western salt spreader. It did not come with a control though. Since then I found a Buyers Control unit. I would think I could wire this up to work with the spreader, right? It has controls for the engine and the clutch. I was wondering if anyone would have a wiring diagram of either unit, or know where on the web I could find one. Or should I not even waste my time and try and find a western unit? I gave 100 bucks for the buyers one and its just like new. The spreader has a flat looking connector with 7 pins in it.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think ur best bet is to trace the wires and firue out what each one does or where it leads to on ur spreader, i might be able to help you then
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cut the molded western connector off and get a pair of plastic trailer plugs. the buyers unit will work fine. or you could get a buyers dealer to order you the spreader side harness. believe me you're better off with out the molded plugs, they rot internally.
  4. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I never thought about trailer plugs, but that would be a good cheap alternative anyway to calling up and buying a new set of plugs from either western or buyers.
  5. elite1msmith

from chicago

in time , they all go bad, so Trailer plugs work just fine, do you know how to wire it up yet? or still working on the process
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

This won't work. Trust me. I am a western snowplow/spreader tech. You will need both a western controller and a western wiring harness. The place I work for in the winter sells western and buyer spreaders. The two will not work with each other.
  7. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes it will..give me toggle switches..and i can make it work , no problem
  8. elite1msmith

from chicago

you tell me the wire colors on the salt spreader side, what wires are connected were , and open up that new control box and take a pic of it...and ill tell you what to hook up
  9. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Why spend 100 dollars on a buyers unit when for not much more you could have bought the western deal.
  10. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I havn't gotten back to the farm to try any of this yet so I don't know if this will all work or not. The only reason I got the Buyers spreader control was because it was in good shape and I didn't want to have to buy a new controller, so I figured this was my best option. Now, if I stumble upon a good used western controller, I would rather have that. I have to say I don't see why it wouldn't work. Not looking to argue or anything, but It sure seams like it should work.
    Thanks for the help guys,
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

Yes it will work

depending exactly on your set up, most go something like this

Cluch - has 2 wires , one goes to Neg dirrectly, the other goes to a toggle switch, postive

electronic throttle - - 2 wires, they both get hocked to to a DPDT switch,

a wire from the starter button, or keyswitch , will engauge the starter

a kill wire, ..this will either be done, but grounding out the coil , which would requre a ground from the engine, and a spark wire, ( both on a switch, if the Two wires touch it would shut off the engine)

OR.... if the carberator has an electronic fuel shut off--- then it this would need to have positive power going to it, in order to allow fuel to flow.... so If power is cut the fule stops and thats what kills the motor

and for all of this.... you need a positive suppy wire, from the spreader battery , and a negative suppy wire from the battery

and a nice thing to have as an add on , could be a "tiny tach" just to see hos the engine is doing

some also have chaok indicator lights, depending on your set up