1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western relief valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by elite1msmith, Jan 22, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Problem started a few weeks back when I had to serve to avoid hitting a car that would not give way. I normally don't plow this lot, one of my workers does. I hit a curb, doing about 18 MPH, hit hard enough, that I bent and driver-side angle ram. some of the small brackets that hold the ram were bent as well, but in very minor ways and the new part installed with very minor problems.

Today, we noticed a fluid leak that revealed a cracked packing nut, At first i thought that it could have been caused by the abnormal stress caused by the hanger brackets being out of line ( bend 1/8 inch) . So to take extra pro cautions this time we are going to over drill the hole to allow the "play" to keep the bold straight in the hole, instead of on an angle. After removing the old ram, we did in fact figure out that the new ram, 2 weeks old, was bent, nut just the nut.....so even thought the driver claims, """"" I didn't hit any thing"""" -- I bet...

My question is if he did hit, should the plow have given way and the pressure relief valves kicked in, allowing it to fold full from full left to full right??? Does anyone know how to adjust these valves, properly, I have a link to a parts diagram, if you could show me anything would help, I just don't want this problem to happen again...

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/333.htm

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It should have...but if the relief was damaged from the original hit, it may not have functioned correctly in a second impact (if there was one).

In your situation I wouldn't hesitate to replace the relief valve for the driver side cylinder. You definitely want to get the cylinder straightened up on the brackets also.

Here's the link to the mechanics guide to walk you through the valve replacement and setting procedure: http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/27097_061503_web.pdf