1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Quit working

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by calc41, Jan 9, 2013.

1. calc41

calc41 Member

[ I have what I believe to be solenoid mark III system. I plowed my sisters driveway & everything worked fine. Went in & had some coffee & took a break. Got in the truck & raised the plow. Worked fine. Drove over to my house & dropped the plow & made a pass & thatwas i. Won't go up or left or right. I checked the connections at the grill & cleaned them as best I could. Still didn't work. I stripped the covering of the wires from the grill to the headlights. Didn't find any wires broken or corroded. I have power to the controler & I can hear the solenoid click going left,right & up & that's all.This is the first western I've had so I'm not that fimiliar with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

you have to ck for pwr on the output side of the solenoid....i.e the 2 big terminals of the solenoid.. 1 will be pwr from the batt,,,the other pwr going to the plow when up, left,right is activated

3. calc41

calc41 Member

So when I toggle up or left to right is when there should be power on the other terminal ??

4. calc41

calc41 Member

So when I toggle up or left to right is when there should be power on the other terminal ??

5. dieselss

yep,,,,so clip from test light on neg batt,,,,and point on the output side....up, right, or left and you should have light. if not then either a) the solenoids bad or b) other wiring issues c) motors bad/wiring is corroded. you did say you can hear it click so at least im guessing that your getting the correct signals to the solenoid

6. calc41

calc41 Member

Thanks I'll check it tomorrow. We're not supposed to get any more snow until the first part of next week so I have time to check it out. What would happen if I ran power right to the plow motor or isn't that a good idea? I just put on some new lights last week but the plow was working good after that. Thanks again

7. dieselss

No. You cannot add pwr right to the plow. It's gotta be switched I.e. the solenoid. Or then the motor would run 24/7 and burn up

8. calc41

calc41 Member

I was just thinking of checking the motor not to wire it direct. Just wondered what would happen if I
    tried to test the motor while everything was still hooked up.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you made the first pass at your house and you tried to raise the plow, did you hear the motor run?

10. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Calc41,

Along the lines your thinking,

Take jumper cable from battery + to your plow motor +
    Take jumper cable from battery - to your plow motor -,

Does it run or grunt, probably not, remove motor from pump and test again.
    If it doesn"t work, replace.

It should take you 5 minutes to test, 15 minutes to replace,
    and keep the cash in your pocket instead of a shop to do it.

fyi- if everything was working fine and you can here your relay "click",
    chances are its sending power to the motor but the motor is toast.

11. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

this happened to me a while back. I tapped the motor and it started working again. Some reason the motor got stuck. Its worth a shot.

Jumping it would rule out if the motor crapped out or not.

12. calc41

calc41 Member

I checked for power at the solenoid term to the motor & test light lite. I tried running jumper cables to the motor terminals as snowplow parts & the motor didn't do anything. So tomorrow I'll take the motor off & bench test it. I think I have some parts around that I can rebuild it if I have to. Thanks for all the info & I'll post what I come up with when I find out. Cal

13. calc41

calc41 Member

No I didn't hear the motor run.

14. calc41

calc41 Member

I tried that & it just made a a grunt like you said. Thanks

15. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

What you are describing , sound like you either have to rebuild the motor, or replace it.

Now said, I was talking to a guy who owns a company that use to install Western plows. We had a conversation regarding the motor. He made a point to seal around the motor (top of the motor, the cap, and were the gasket goes onto the housing) with a lite coat of silicone. This will stop the moisture from penetrating or seeping into the top of the motor (were the brushes are located), and into the housing..

16. dieselss

On some of the motors there's a small hole one the case look for that as well.

17. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you try tapping the motor? Mine never got stuck since.

18. calc41

calc41 Member

Well I checked everything again today. Had power n both sides of the solenoid & could hear a click on up, left & right. Took the motor offf & pulled the brush end cover. There was a broken brush holder & the brush was wedged against case & armature. Fixed that & cleaned all of the connections,power & ground. Cleaned all the connections on the solenoid just to be sure. Put everything back together & it goes uo,turns left & right, but it won't go down now. What did I do wrong? Help!!

19. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Unplug your grill connection ,make sure its clean,re-attach.
    take a wire from + battery and touch pin # 1 and the plow should drop.
    Check that first to isolate truck vs plow. see pic.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  20. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

here is the pic

Attached Files: